HCS08GT16A P&E Multilink Issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCS08GT16A P&E Multilink Issues

jtjans
Contributor I
About  a year ago, (2006-05-15) Wings had a post detailing 8 Issues he had with the P&E BDM debugger, including such things a Trigger A&B when no triggers set etc. He submitted the problems numbered 2,3 and 4 to the CE-IDE group and promised to post their response.  I have all of the same problems and haven't been able to locate the response.  Wings are you there? Help.

I had the same problems at about the same time that Wings first posted the list but I was using an HCS08GT32 and was able to switch to a Softec inDART debugger that didn't have the same problems.  Now I am using an HCS08GT16A processor with basically the same code and board and the inDART won't connect.  I suspect they don't support the A version but I have gotten no reply from them on the subject.

I am suprised that P&E/Metrowerks woulden't have fixed bugs from a year ago but I have downloaded the latest P&E drivers for the Multilink and I don't see any hardware upgrades available on their site.

I am using the simplest clock setup - fixed 4 mHz - no FLL - 1 mHz bus.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jack
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Jack,

I think Wings might now be wingsy. Maybe PM both?
I have been using a Rev. B USB Multilink with mostly GT16 for a long time now without any real issues.
I use P&E's software 99% of the time and CW the rest but it is basically the same software.
Anytime weird things happen it is usually electrical noise causing this (I often debug in a very noisy enviroment).

0 Kudos

jtjans
Contributor I
    Thanks Peg. One question - did you develop with the GT16 or Gt16A?  The worst problems started when I switched from the GT32 to the GT16A.  The Softec inDART-one with an upgrade for the 16A has less of the breakpoint and "trigger A&B" problems, but seems to have more trouble connecting and maintaining communications.  The Multilink maintains comm ok but still exhibits strange Breakpoint errors.  Especially not setting or unsetting breakpoints even when the breakpoint dropdown shows them.  Also "Illegal Breakpoints" and "Trigger A & B encountered" when there are no breakpoints or triggers set.

Any observations along these lines would be highly appreciated.

Jack
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Jack,
I have one product that has been recently converted from using the GT16 to using the GT16A. This was a totally painless experience as there is really very little difference. Apart from accidently trying to use the algorithm for the 16 on a 16A that is! Some time ago I also accidently put the code and used the algorithm for the 16A into a 16 and it worked perfectly!
This led me to investigate the real difference between the algorithms. As far as I can tell on a preliminary investigation the only difference is that the 16 has a bug in it that does not actually cause any harm and that it had to be fixed when the 16A came along.
When the special blank check, that ignores security byte being set for unsecured, is done with the 16 algorithm it actually does the check over 32k of flash. With the 16A the illegal address reset probably catches this out. The only difference between the algorithms is that the correct start address for 16 k of flash is in the newer 16A version.

I am also developing some new products using the GT16A from scratch so am using the USB multilink for debugging more than usual lately and have not had any problems.
It works very well for me with no difference what device I connect to it.

0 Kudos