Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging with IAR EWARM

Jump to solution
olehattebol
Contributor II

Hi,

The IAR EWARM debugger hangs in __rom_data_init.

I am trying to learn Zigbee by studying the example MyStarNetwork Demo (Coordinator) that came with my Freescale 1322NSK Network Starter Kit. The solution is created with ARM7 MAC Codebase 1.1.4. The solution is imported into IAR Embedded Workbench IDE 5.20. The solution is compiled and linked without warnings or errors.

I am trying to step through the code starting in Init-IAR.S, the debugger is with Simulator driver. In line 151 BL __rom_data_init the program hangs. The Break button is lighting up and in the Windows Task Manager I can see that IarIdePM.exe is using around 40% of the processor, almost all of one kernel. When I click the Break and Go buttons, the PC stops at different addresses, but never returns from the __rom_data_init routine.

From the comments above the call to __rom_data_init it seems that ROM variables should not be initialized when using simulation debugging. However I don't find a way to set the variables Region_ROM_Table_ROM_Base and Region_ROM_Table_ROM_Limit that are used. They seem to be declared in the library LLC_MC13224.a

Please help!

Ole

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
olehattebol
Contributor II

Later I got the following answer from IAR Systems AB:

The start-up sequence for the Freescale ZigBee devices is implemented to run in the device itself.

This Freescale kit was created years ago, but if I remember right,  I think that the start-up-process (i.e. in hardware) is that the application is downloaded to the target, and then during start-up, the target perform a reset to an alternative memory map/range, where the application then runs. To simulate this using our instruction simulator is almost impossible as it is so closely related to the device itself.

Using the JTAG the debugger now works perfect.

Ole

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
olehattebol
Contributor II

Later I got the following answer from IAR Systems AB:

The start-up sequence for the Freescale ZigBee devices is implemented to run in the device itself.

This Freescale kit was created years ago, but if I remember right,  I think that the start-up-process (i.e. in hardware) is that the application is downloaded to the target, and then during start-up, the target perform a reset to an alternative memory map/range, where the application then runs. To simulate this using our instruction simulator is almost impossible as it is so closely related to the device itself.

Using the JTAG the debugger now works perfect.

Ole

0 Kudos
Monica
Senior Contributor III

Ole,

That's great, thanks for sharing and keep up the good job!

Monica.

0 Kudos