Building SDK 1.3.2

Document created by Paul Genua Employee on May 1, 2013Last modified by Paul Genua Employee on May 2, 2013
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

I recently pulled down SDK 1.3.2 from Freescale's SDK download site and had a chance to try and install it on a P3041DS system I have lying around. There's a lot of info in the ISO, but I thought I'd go through an initial build step by step to document what the flow is.

First thing to note is that there is more than one ISO image available.

SDK_list.jpg

I already have a Ubuntu lucid machine, that I use as a build machine. So I didn't need the virtual images. I'll need the source file - so I downloaded QorIQ_SDK_V1-3-2_SOURCE_ISO, and I am going to try this on a P3041, so I downloaded the e500mc binary. The binary isn't necessary, but it speeds up the builds significantly.

When they've finished downloading, the first thing to do is mount the source ISO

mount.jpg

Within the source ISO there's an install script. I run that and let it do it's thing. Important to note that there's documentation contained within the document's directory. If you go to documents/START_HERE.html you will get html based documentation on the SDK. And, if you keep drilling down and go to documents/sdk_documentation/pdf there are some pdf documents for various features. The document QorIQ_SDK_Infocenter.pdf is a complete collection of the SDK documentation taken from the Freescale infocenter site.

Once, the source is install, I do the same for the binary.

mount_2.jpg

Make sure you install the binary on top of the source (i.e. in the same directory).

We then call the FSL poky script - which sets up the build.

build_1.jpg

In this command the -m tells it what machine you're going to build to. -j indicates the number of jobs for make to spawn, and -t is how many bitbake tasks to be run in parallel.

At this point I'm ready to build. I have some options for which image I want to build - I'll go with the core image, which contains some of the more common packages. So, at this point I need to make sure I'm in the build_p3041ds_release directory, and issue the command

bitbake fsl-image-core

which initiates the build process.

When all is said and done, I can find my images in the build_p3041ds_release/tmp/demply/images directory.

images.png

In my case, I have quite a few images because I've actually built the core and full images. Next, I have to grab these images and deploy them to my target.

Attachments

Outcomes