connecting i.MX7D Sabre(MCIMX7SABRE) and E-INK panel(IMXEBOOKDC4)

Document created by jim.lin Employee on Oct 20, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Hardware connection:

there are two board-to-board connectors on E-INK daughter card IMXEBOOKDC4, while there is only one on i.MX7D Sabre board, as the picture below. This might be a bit confusing to connect the two:

MX7D_BOOKDC4.jpg

Checked with internal, the original design was trying to wire both eLCDIF and EPDC bus out to one daughter card, add the flexibility to have different configurations on one display daughter card(LCD/EPD). On i.MX7D Sabre board, only one connector is available for EPDC bus.

Here is how we connect i.MX7D Sabre and IMXEBOOKDC4:

connected.jpg

Software setup:

here we use pre-build L3.14.38_6UL7D_Beta Linux as our boot-image, steps to setup/boot/test EPDC:

1. download and decompress BSP pre-build image package "L3.14.38_beta_images_MX6UL7D.tar.gz", you should be able to find the SD image in it -- "fsl-image-gui-x11-imx7dsabresd.sdcard"

2. program the SD image on your SD card(>800 MBytes) with command(I'm running this in Ubuntu): "dd if=fsl-image-gui-x11-imx7dsabresd.sdcard of=/dev/sdb;sync"

3. insert SD card to the slot(J6) on i.MX7D Sabre board, connect debug-UART and power-on the board

4. modify the u-boot environment variables as below:

a.) setenv fdt_file imx7d-sdb-epdc.dtb

(originally this is "fdt_file=imx7d-sdb.dtb")

b.) setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} root=${mmcroot} epdc video=mxcepdcfb:E060SCM,bpp=16'
          (originally this is "mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} root=${mmcroot}")

5. boot into Linux kernel, run unit-test: "/unit_tests/mxc_epdc_fb_test.out", should be able to have test patterns running on EPD.

4 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes