Error resetting hardware interface, maybe try a different port (MCF5208CAB166)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error resetting hardware interface, maybe try a different port (MCF5208CAB166)

magistrant
Contributor I
Hi at all,
I developed a board with the MCF5208 referenced to the M5208 evaluation board.
When programming error: "ColdFire PE Protocol Adapter : Error resetting hardware interface, maybe try a different port".
My schemat in attachment
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

gm_free
Contributor I

Hi everybody,

I've a similar problem. Using the XP virtual machine on Windows 7 and CodeWarrior 7.2.

Installed a PCI parallel board, it's drivers, the drivers for parallel BDM for CodeWarrior and debugging my board with a MCF5234 micro but there is an error: "ColdFire PE Protocol Adapter: Error resetting hardware interface. Maybe try a different port". I've tried all the steps described on FAQ ID #4, addlpt utility recognize the LPT1 port ad address 0378. Tried to use also the ccs utility that see the port as SPP but my debugger still doesn't work. In another PC with the same programmer, the same PCI parallel board, the same CW version and the same parallel cable everything works fine.

Some suggestions?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

PunKidd
Contributor I

Any other fixes for this?  I'm getting the same error in Code Warrior 7.2.  I can build the project and then flash it with the PROGCFZ flash program from P&E, but when I try debug >> connect I get this error.  Also errors out when trying to erase or flash through Tools >> Flash programmer.

0 Kudos

PunKidd
Contributor I

Well, it turns out it's an issue with my virtual machine.  I'm running on a 64bit OS which CW 7.2 does not have drivers for so I had to install on an XP 32 bit virtual machine.  As stated before, the P&E flasher worked fine in the VM to erase and program the target, but CW never did.  After installing CW on a native 32 bit OS it connected, erased and flashed the target fine.

Until I started doing more digging into the drivers I didn't even realize that there is a CW 10.1 for microcontrollers out.  The download page says it supports ColdFire and 64 bit so I'm going to download that and give that a whirl.

Thanks for the help all. 

0 Kudos

PunKidd
Contributor I

From the "Flash Programer" "Load settings..." I've been loading MCF52235_INTFLASH.xml, but I'm still getting the errors when I try to connect via the debugger menu or when I try to erase or flash via the flash programmer window.  

I tried copying the xml into the project folder but no change (acutally noticed that there was already a copy in the "cfg" folder inside my project folder).  

There must be something I'm still missing in the CW configuration since I can flash fine from P&E software, but it's been driving me bannanas for 3 days now trying to figure out where I'm going wrong. 

0 Kudos

PunKidd
Contributor I

Looks like I was being dumb.  I had played with the debug jumper while testing last night.  I went back to the P&E flasher as a sanity check and that wasn't working either.  Found the jumper missed a pin.  I put it back on and now Debug >> connect will connect and "erase" works fine from the Flash Programmer, but it is failing on the flash.

It runs through a bunch of stuff really quickly, then gets to the "programming" step, then erros out with a generic error "Error: Program failed.  Se details for addition information.", but the details doesn't tell me anything usefull except "The flash algorithm was interupted during execution".

I can use the built s19 file and flash it throught he P&E software, but still no luck getting the flash to take in CW 7.2

Going to keep banging my head on it, but if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears.

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Ok, I will try one more time - it's most likely because the XML file you are using does not have the correct set up for the chip you are trying to flash...

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

I just copied to the project directory so I would not lose track of it.

As the risk of pointing out the obvious, are you sure that is the correct XML for the part you are using?

0 Kudos

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

You know, I have never managed to get the flash programmer in CWCF7.2 to work right.  I would always use the CFFlasher tool instead.  You have to make sure that you don't have an active debug window in CW at the same time you're trying to access the P&E with a different program; otherwise, you'll get that error.

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

The trick is to get the proper XML for the part loaded in th Flashing dialog. There are provided XMLs for each part.

If you don't do this it will not work.

Once I found it, I copied into the project directory. You have to load it each time your start the IDE.

It's awkward, but it does work.

0 Kudos

magistrant
Contributor I

I use USM-ML-CFE

0 Kudos