Can you access the UID with the latest iOS13 upgrade without an app?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you access the UID with the latest iOS13 upgrade without an app?

cmaita
Contributor I

We want to move away from using our app, but need the UID for database references. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I'm supposing here you want to automatically launch a URL upon tapping a tag with your phone, without your APP being active. If you can modify the contents of the tags during some setup phase, you can encode a URL in the tag memory which contains (a copy of) the UID as part of the URL query string. 

Perhaps this answer isn't helpful at all. Perhaps you are looking for a generic APP on iOS that can extract the UID and display it? Can you describe your setup and use case in more detail?

BR,
Dries.

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi COREY MAITA,

Hope you are doing great, please let us know if the scenario from Dries Moors is correct or if you want just to extract the UID because in the past was not possible, this was done by mirroring the UID into a user memory of the tag, now I believe it is possible from IOS13. but it is a little bit tricky if you are reading an NDEF tag there is a section under core NFC in the APIs from Apple,  if you want to read other tag  there is other APIs used by it that is the main difference. the best would be you check the Core NFC in the webpage so you can check the correct procedure.

Have a great day !

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

cmaita
Contributor I

driesmoors‌ jonathaniglesias

Hi Dries and Jonathan, 

I appreciate the replies! We are trying to understand if we can pull the UID from the chip without mirroring the UID in the chips memory during our provisioning process. We want the ability to cross reference the UID's with our database without making the UID public knowledge in the URL string. We currently have an android app that allows us to see the UID of the chip and use that as a cross reference with our database. It would be nice to see if there is an Apple API or a way to read the UID's with iOS upon scanning going to a purely URL based solution without the need for an app. 

Thanks again for the help and support!

Corey

0 Kudos

chironjit
Contributor I

Hi Corey, there is no way to read the UID without an app - the reason being that you have to send a specific command to the chip to return the actual value. Our startup had the developers code that in, having to send a native command to the tag. This is the reason why the latest CoreNFC release if different, as it allows you to "wrap" and issue native commands, which you generally need for things such as UID, CRC, etc.

Feel free to reach out to me - I'll try to help as best as possible

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi COREY MAITA,

for deeper information please check the Core NFC Core NFC | Apple Developer Documentation   inside the Mifare, iso7816tag or the NDEF section. depending on the tag you are using.  there should be a hardware identifier in the first two. 

Have a great day ! 

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos