How to change DDR3 clock speed in U-boot/U-boot SPL?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change DDR3 clock speed in U-boot/U-boot SPL?

amr
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm working with a custom board based on the MCIMX6UL-EVK (14x14 evk), using the iMX6UL (MCIMX6G3CVM05AB) and the same RAM chip (MT41K256M16LY-093). I've run the NXP DDR Stress Test tool on the board using the default MX6UL DDR3 script, setting MR1 to 0x0004 and the DDR freq to 400MHz, but the calibration fails. I then tried calibrating at 300MHz (see calibration result in this post), and was able to run the stress test overnight. 

I've been trying to compile mainline U-boot using the mx6ul_14x14_evk_defconfig. However, I need to be able to reduce the DDR clock from the default 400Mhz down to 300MHz. Where can this be done?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Amr

thanks for sharing solution, in general recommended to change ddr clocks running

code from ocram, during boot it also can be done in plugin:

plugin.S\mx6ul_14x14_evk\freescale\board - uboot-imx - i.MX U-Boot 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

amr
Contributor I

Thanks for the information - my solution changes the DDR clock in the SPL, which runs from the OCRAM.

0 Kudos

amr
Contributor I

Managed to do it by adding the following code in board_init_f:

/* Set the DDR clock to 297MHz as follows:
1 - Change PFD0 divider to generate 297MHz
2 - Change pre_periph2_clk_sel to source its clock from PFD0 (by default it takes it from PFD2)
See IMX6ULRM section 18.3
*/

u32 reg;

// Change PFD0 divider to 32
 reg = readl(&mxc_ccm->analog_pfd_528);
 reg &= ~0x3F;
 reg |= 32U;
 writel(reg, &mxc_ccm->analog_pfd_528);
// Toggle PFD0 clock gate
 writel(1U << 7, &mxc_ccm->analog_pfd_528_tog);
 writel(1U << 7, &mxc_ccm->analog_pfd_528_tog);

// Set PRE_PERIPH2_CLK source to PFD0
 reg = readl(&mxc_ccm->cbcmr);
 reg &= ~(3U << 21);
 reg |= (2U << 21);
 writel(reg, &mxc_ccm->cbcmr);

// Enable CLKO1 and CLKO2
 // CLKO1 -> axi_clk_roo
 // CLKO2 -> mmdc_clk_root
 writel(0x05 | (7U << 4) | (1U << 7) |
 (1U << 16) | (7U << 21) | (1U << 24), &mxc_ccm->ccosr);

iomux_v3_cfg_t const clkout_pads[] = {
 MX6_PAD_JTAG_TMS__CCM_CLKO1 | MUX_PAD_CTRL(PAD_CTL_HYS | PAD_CTL_SPEED_MED | PAD_CTL_DSE_48ohm | PAD_CTL_SRE_FAST),
 MX6_PAD_JTAG_TDO__CCM_CLKO2 | MUX_PAD_CTRL(PAD_CTL_HYS | PAD_CTL_SPEED_MED | PAD_CTL_DSE_48ohm | PAD_CTL_SRE_FAST),
 };

imx_iomux_v3_setup_multiple_pads(clkout_pads, ARRAY_SIZE(clkout_pads));
0 Kudos