FRDM-KV31F shows up as MBED

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KV31F shows up as MBED

steve9
Contributor III

I have just been given a KMS-enabled FRDM-KV31F, with a FRDM-MC-LVPMSM board and a Linix 45ZWN24-40 motor. I want to run Kinetis Motor Suite software on my Windows 10 PC and have followed the instructions here.

When I ran KMS for the first time, I got this error message "KMS has determined that your MCU is loaded with an image from a previous version of KMS that is not supported by the current version. To proceed, please click OK, then select the Project menu's Load Application Image option before clicking to communicate."

I then noticed this webpage saying that a batch of FRDM-KV31F MCU boards, were shipped to people, programmed with MBED OpenSDA firmware. My FRDM-KV31F board shows up in Windows 10 as MBED E: so I guess I have one of those boards.

Since quite a lot of time has passed since the board was made and the instructions were written, I am now confused about how to proceed. With the boards powered up and the motor connected, the RGB LED on the KV31F flashes green/blue alternately, which I guess shows that the hardware is working properly. What should I do now to get Kinetis Motor Suite running on my Windows 10 PC?

Help please!

Steve

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Due to recent developments NXP will no longer be licensing KMS.   You will be able to run your motor but not with the KMS tools and software.

With the FRDM board and power board you have you can still drive your motor fairly easily.

You can start by use MCUXpresso IDE , the KV31 SDK and the motor control middle-ware.  The demo will get you started with motor control.

The next step is to get the PMSM reference design software from here and the FreeMaster tool here  These installations still rely on the Kinetis Design Studio IDE.  These are being ported to the latest IDE MCUXpresso later this year.

• 3-Phase Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM) Control Reference Design
  • The 3-Phase Permanent Magnet Synchronous (PMSM) Motor Control Reference Design is based on Kinetis® V Series MCUs and intended to provide the example for 3-phase sensorless PMSM motor control solutions. The Reference design utilizes closed-loop field oriented vector speed (FOC) control mechanism.

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos

steve9
Contributor III

Hi Philip

Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned, my FRDM-K31VF shows up as "MBED" in Windows Explorer. Will I still be able to program it using MCUXpresso?

Steve

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I would suggest trying to let MCUXpresso find the debug interface. with your application built click on the debug button in the quick-start area.  if it does not find it I suggest updating the firmware of the debugger. 

The MBED driver may be replaced with a Segger driver for JLINK using bootloader mode.  Press and hold reset while plugging in the FRDM board to enter bootload mode. drag and drop a new debug firmware. Segger V2 link here. It calls for version 2.1. 

I hope that helps. 

Philip

0 Kudos

steve9
Contributor III

I tried to drag and drop the v2.1 firmware to the board and got an error saying that it was too big for the board. Now the board appears dead. Doesn't appear in Windows Explorer and no LEDs.

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I believe I have replicated your situation on my desk. The debug MCU is is MK20DX128xxx5. 

I put the MBED debug firmware on the debug device. (0221_k20dx128_kv31f_0x8000.bin - attached) .I then power cycled and verified MBED showed up like it should .

I power cycled again while pressing and holding reset and the bootloader came up. jumper J25 should be set to 1-2.

Then I  dragged and dropped the file JLink_OpenSDA_V2_1.bin (attached) on to the bootloader, I checked the device manager and under com ports I see the Jlink CDD Uart port listed

I assume you have the MCUXpresso IDE installed correct.  it has a lot of drivers needed for the debugger to enumerate correctly. 

If all of this does not work I can swap out the board for another that is properly programmed.

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos

steve9
Contributor III

Hi Philip

Thanks for taking the trouble to investigate. Unfortunately, the board no longer shows up in Windows Explorer, and MCUXpresso can't find a working debug probe either. MCUXpresso is certainly installed correctly. I have been using it fine with my FRDM-KW41Z boards. However, I don't have a separate debugger so I now have no way of getting the firmware onto the board.

Steve

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

So it won't go into bootloader mode anymore? 

if you need to get it working I can swap you for a working board.

Philip

0 Kudos

steve9
Contributor III

Nope. No bootloader, no LEDs, nothing. If you wouldn't mind swapping it that would be great. I live in the UK but I'm happy to post mine to you if you are happy to post one back.

Thanks again.

Steve

0 Kudos