Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difficulties with S32K144EVB

jing_wang
Contributor I

Dear NXP / community,

Hope you are doing well.

I would appreciate very much to receive some fresh ideas / assistance on a Dev Kit, which we recently ordered but were having some difficulties with.

Upon insertion of USB cable into S32K144EVB board, the first anomaly is that D3 (PWR_LED) does not light, in spite of which, D2 lights and "EVB-S32K144" as a thumb drive actually appears, nonetheless.

What follows is probably somewhat expected: neither FreeMaster nor S32 DS Debugger could establish connection with the target MCU processor, whereas I was able to successfully reprogram the OpenSDA processor by following (PEmicro | Experts in Embedded tools for Flash Programming and Development) despite some initial hurdles to make it enter Bootloader mode.

Some attempts to debug, with inspirations from (Debugging Failure: Check List and Hints | MCU on Eclipse ), also took place. Without success, I am afraid.

It is probably worth mentioning that exactly the same setup was used to connect to another S32K144EVB board, with no problem whatsoever.

Currently my suspicion is that there is HW fault in the Power Management block, i.e. those various voltage regulators, and my next step would be to probe the generous collection of Test Points to find anomalies.

But ideas, thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for bearing with me to read through this verbose description and I look very much forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Jing

0 Kudos
5 Replies

jing_wang
Contributor I

Dear all,

Just to provide you a short update, if you by some means are interested. Today we did some voltage measurements by applying multimeter probes on test points as well as on signals/pads on some ICs.

It could be noticed that:

- ~ 200 mV is measured on TP4 where 3.3 V is expected

- ~ 200 mV is measured on TP14 where 5 V is expected (in USB supply mode)

- Pin 4 on U11 is 0 V which indicates FAULT (http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/mic20xx.pdf)

Thanks for your attention and I wish you a nice weekend.

Kind regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello.

Do you get 5V (P5V_SDA) from the USB?

The OpenSDA chip enabled the U11 power switch (POWER_EN) after a handshake with a PC.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

jing_wang
Contributor I

Hi danielmartynek‌,

thanks for the quick response.

I have measured 5-V and 3-V respectively on U11 Pin 1 and Pin 3. This, together with the fact that I "EVB-S32K144" thumb drive appeared upon USB insertion and I could also enter OpenSDA bootloader mode in a separate attemp, should have indicated that OpenSDA works properly? To a large extent, anyway.

Please kindly share more thoughts of yours, thanks.

Kind regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The fault (U11.4 low) can indicate that the switch is in power limiting, as per the MIC2005 datasheet.

Can you use 5V from the SBC (J107.2-3) instead?

Is there a short at VDD, does the S32K MCU heat?

If so, you should not be able to use the SBC either.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

jing_wang
Contributor I

Hi danielmartynek‌,

Thanks for the comment.

SBC was also tried by connecting 1-2 on J107 (2-3 is for USB powering, correct?) SBC (UJA1169) chip, rather than MCU, seemed heating up for some reason.

I already contacted NXP's distributor Mouser and this unit will be replaced and an RMA has been initiated.

thanks for the help.

Kind regards,

Jing

0 Kudos