cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using QSPI Flash on imxrt1060 EVK for booting and back-up storage

meetalipatel
Contributor III

Hi

I am working on imxrt1060 - EVK board currently. I have a requirement of storing some data as backup (to retain the data every time the system resets). I need to use the on-board QSPI Flash for this purpose. However, when I am trying to write/erase and debug the code in MCUXpresso, a window pops and displays "Break at address "0x0" with no debug information available, or outside of program code.".

I want to know if it is possible to using the Flash memory for both booting and backing up data simultaneously.

If yes, how can I do the same.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

meetalipatel
Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. But I want to use QSPI Flash for both booting and storage purpose. I have referred the example that you mentioned, but it stores the program code in RAM memory and executes from there while storing the data on Flash. I want to perform both the things together on QSPI Flash.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

sorry such functionality currently is not supported. You can try to develop it yourself

using recommended white paper suggestions.

~igor

0 Kudos

antoinezen
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I'm also interested it this topic. I'have read the documents you mention, especially the white paper. If I understand correctly, this is not feasible unless we select a flash that support read-while write. Is that correct ? Or can we do this with another flash (QSPI or Hyperflash) at the expense of having the CPU halted util the write is completed ? Basically, can we test this on the MIMXRT1050-EVK ?

Thanks!

Antoine

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Antoine

yes one can do this with another flash (QSPI or Hyperflash), but programming codes should be

executed from internal processor ram and I am afraid such example is not available in MCUXpresso SDK  MXRT1050

projects. White paper just gives more convenient option.

Best regards
igor

antoinezen
Contributor III

Thanks for the clarification. If I program the flash from internal RAM code, then how to write to the flash ? Can I just write to the 0x6000_0000 address space and let the "Program Sequence Engine" of FlexSPI do the job? Or should I send the data sequentially using the IP bus ?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

examples of flash programming can be found in MCUXpresso SDK EVKB-MIMXRT1050

Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder 

and appnotes on i.MX RT1050 documentation link

i.MX RT1050 MCU/Applications Crossover Processor | Arm® Cortex®-M7 @600 MHz, 512KB SRAM |NXP 

Best regards
igor

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Meetali

for examples of flash memory for both booting and backing (programming flash code is running from SDRAM)
one can look at SDK examples in   SDK/../driver_examples/flexspi

Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder 
and AN12108 How to Enable Boot from QSPI Flash, AN12183 How to Enable Debugging for FLEXSPI NOR Flash

on documentation link below

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-based-processors-and-mcus/i.mx-appl...

Some memories allow for running xip application and simultaneously perform programming,

"concurrent read-write, also known as read-while-write or RWW" as described in

White Paper: Memory Expansion with Adesto EcoXIP and i.MX RT

on the same documentation link

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos