adb

Device Firmware Update (DFU) over USB on LPC4353

Discussion created by adb on Apr 5, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 by adb

Hello,

I would like to be able to program my microcontroller (LPC4353) over USB. For this, I have found the USBDEV_ROM project on IAR's information centre. The project includes code for a composite device (HID, DFU and mass storage). When I run the program, it enumerates OK (appears in Windows 7 device manager in HID category) and a 32 kB mass storage device appears in Windows explorer.

Initially in the "Other devices" category in device manager, a DFU device appears with an exclamation mark. I have downloaded AN4370SW, which contains a DFU_winusb_driver. The folder contains a DFU_Device.inf and DFU_Device_Runtime.inf. In device manager, I'm able to manually direct windows to use one of these inf files. If I do this, a "DFU device" category appears in the device manager along with a "Device firmware upgrade". Am I using the correct drivers? Have I followed the correct steps so far?

To check that the embedded code is doing what I think it should be doing, I would like to download a bin file over USB. What is the correct procedure for this? I've seen a number of programs mentioned on the NXP website: LPCscrypt, DFU_demo (comes with AN4370SW), dfu-util from sourceforge and LPCExpresso. None of these work for me. I've included the output from dfu-util at the bottom of this post.

Is an up to date tutorial or app note available for this?

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction,

Regards,

Alan

C:\Users\ ...\Downloads\dfu-util-0.9-win64\dfu-util-0.9-win64>dfu-util -R -D pad2.bin
dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 1fc9:0114
Run-time device DFU version 0100
Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
Cannot claim interface 0

Outcomes