Difference between MCUXpresso - LPCXpresso and their free or professional versions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between MCUXpresso - LPCXpresso and their free or professional versions.

sarpdaltaban
Contributor I

Hello dear members. I am new to the forum and NXP.

I have installed MCUXpresso.
I will be writing code for LPC4357 by using programming adaptor ULINK2 and my own PCB design.
The limitations between the free and the paid versions of MCUXpresso are not clear on the web and I was wondering if there are any differences between LPCXpresso and MCUXpresso.
Can anybody help me about the software(LPCXpresso or MCUXpresso) and hardware(ULINK2) requirements for my applicaion(a basic application such as I/Os)? 
That is to say that, what should I need to do to write some code to program LPC4357 after installing MCUXpresso IDE?

Kind Regards

1 Reply

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In essence, MCUXpresso IDE inherits almost all of the features of LPCXpresso IDE, plus:

• Extendable part (MCU) support via MCUXpresso SDKs. This adds support for most Kinetis parts, the LPC54xxx families of LPC parts, and various other NXP Cortex-M based parts.
  • Built in support for SEGGER and P&E debug probes in addition to an updated version of the LinkServer (CMSIS-DAP) support from LPCXpresso IDE
  • Built in version of MCUXpresso Config Tools (for SDK based parts only - so not relevant for the LPC43).
  • Many tweaks, enhancements and bug fixes

There are a few notes about differences inside the IDE's installation guide (which you can find in the Product's built in help, as well as in PDF form in the installation directory).

You should also note that LPCXpresso IDE is no longer being developed or maintained, whereas MCUXpresso IDE is being actively developed. 

With regards to Pro Edition, the big addition this gave in LPCXpresso IDE was the removal of the 256KB code size limit for debugging that the Free Edition had.

With MCUXpresso IDE, the Free Edition has no such restriction. At the current time, I would not suggest looking at MCUXpresso IDE Pro Edition, as it gives only gives minimal functional extensions (related to SWO trace, detailed in the IDE's SWO Trace Guide). 

Information on getting going with the IDE with pre-installed parts like LPC, is contained in the IDE's User Guide. I would strongly suggest that you obtain an off-the-self LPCXpresso board for the LPC43 family (LPCXpresso Boards|NXP ) then experiment with the corresponding LPCOpen packages.

If you have further questions on using MCUXpresso IDE, please post to the MCUXpresso IDE forum : MCUXpresso IDE 

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support