cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K144 board detection problem

tautvydaskarvel
Contributor II

Hello,

recently, I have bought S32k144 EVB and I have watched tutorials how to control it and etc, but the thing is that I cannot establish communication between this board and my laptop. When I turn on Freemaster program, go to project-->tools and set some parameters (According to the tutorial video) such as communication port and speed I get this error: "Can not detect the board information! The communication will be paused. Error code: 0x80000101 (Response timeout.)".

Could someone advise me how I can solve this problem?

Thank you!

Tags (3)
11 Replies

tautvydaskarvel
Contributor II

Yes, that is right, I took it from that website. 
I added those two files below.

Tautvydas

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi tautvydaskarvelis‌,

I some strange setting in your model. Do you have older versions of the S32K toolbox installed on your machine ?

It is like the model is trying to load the settings from an older toolbox that still exists on your Matlab path.

Can you set your Matlab paths to default and then run again the "mbd_s32k_path.m" to add the paths only for the latest version of the toolbox ?

After that please try to build the model attached here - original version.

Best regards,
Daniel

0 Kudos

tautvydaskarvel
Contributor II

Hello, Daniel,

I have 2016b MATLAB and S32Kxx toolbox is version 1.0.1. When I open an example, I press exactly the button "build model" and the the model is being built for 10sec when I get that error.

Tautvydas

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

So, you took it from here: NXP Support Package S32K1xx - File Exchange - MATLAB Central right ?

Can you please attach here your mdl/slx model file (that contains the modifications made for your PC) + the entire build log file ?

Thank you!

Daniel

0 Kudos

tautvydaskarvel
Contributor II

Hello, Daniel,

indeed, it works! Thank you for your help! However, I prefer to programming this EVB with Simulink and when I open an example and try to build model, simulink is building the model but at the end I get this error: "C:\MBDToolbox\mbdtbx_S32K\tools\gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9/bin/arm-none-eabi-as" -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -g -o startup_S32K144.o startup_S32K144.s -o startup_S32K144.o
gmake: *** No rule to make target `rtiostream_utils.c', needed by `clock_S32K144.o'. Stop.
### Build procedure for model: 'gpio_s32k14' aborted due to an error.
Error(s) encountered while building "gpio_s32k14""

When I try to "Connect to target" I also get an error:   

"Error occurred while executing External Mode MEX-file 'ext_comm':
Failed to connect to the target. Possible reasons for the failure:
a) The target is not switched on.
b) The target is not connected to your host machine.
c) The application for the model is not running on the target. You might have clicked the Stop button. If the Run button is not dimmed, click it. Otherwise, click the Build button, which downloads and runs your application on the target.

Caused by:
Expected 1xN string array for host name"

I set all the parameters as they were shown in other tutorial video from NXP site. Maybe you know what can cause these issues?

Thank you!

Tautvydas

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi tautvydaskarvelis‌,

To run the example models to the target is fully possible. Can you tell me which version for S32K Toolbox are you using? FYI, the latest one is 3.0.0. 

Have you pressed the "Build Model" button ? or you pressed the "Run" ?

pastedImage_1.png

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

tautvydaskarvel
Contributor II

Good day, Daniel,

thank you for your reply. Indeed, I did as you said and I got the same result as had described. However, when I try to follow the tutorials (S32K144EVB Out-Of-Box Experience Based On the FreeMASTER)

and connect everything as it is written I still cannot see "Explore the board" option. How could I explore this board virtually in FreeMASTER?

Thank you!

Tautvydas

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi tautvydaskarvelis‌,

Now that we know the board is working we can concentrate on OOBE demo. 

1: download the Embedded Firmware from here: https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/board-support-packages/S32K144EVB-OOBE-FreeMASTER-Firmware.zip 

2: Import the project in S32 Design Studio, Compiler is and then download/flash it into the target. Make sure you disconnect the S32DS after successful flashing and restart the board. 

pastedImage_3.png

At this point the MCU should be ready to be controlled from the FreeMASTER

3: Donwload the FreeMASTER OOBE application from here: https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/board-support-packages/S32K144EVB-OOBE-FreeMASTER-PC.zip 

4: Open S32K144EVB_OOBE.pmpx

5: Configure the UART connection

6: You should see this screen:

pastedImage_5.png

7: Press on FreeMASTER RED LED widget -> the board LED should toggle the RED LED

8: Change the position of the potentiometer on the board. The FreeMASTER Pot wheel should show the value from the ADC.

Hope this works!

Daniel

Mitamr
Contributor I
0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi tautvydaskarvelis‌,

Do you have any pre-program application on your S32K144 board ? FreeMASTER requires the existence of an application on the MCU with FreeMASTER embedded protocol enabled. Otherwise will not be able to communicate since there will be "no one" on the other side.

You can do a simple test by copy-paste-ing the application BLDC_ClosedLoop_s32k14.mot into the S32K144 Mass Storage Driver and then try to communicate via FreeMASTER. (you can check this small tutorial: https://community.nxp.com/message/960388?commentID=960388%23comment-960388 )

Once the *.mot file is flashed correctly in your board (the green small LED near the micro-usb should blink for a couple of seconds and then stay on) you can open the FreeMASTER

and configure the Comm Tab 

pastedImage_1.png

and MAP files Tab by selecting the BLDC_ClosedLoop_s32k14.elf

pastedImage_3.png

You should be able to see something like if you add the Phase_A and/or PWM_DutyCycle variables in the Watch window.

pastedImage_6.png

Can you confirm?

Thank you!

Daniel

bidinhol
Contributor II

Hi dumitru-daniel.popa‌,

If I don't use your mot file declared above. How could I generate a *.mot file ?

I built a example project, having the elf file and flashed it successfully into S32K144-EVB Board but I can not connect FreeMASTER with the board. I got the same error  "Can not detect the board information! The communication will be paused. Error code: 0x80000101 (Response timeout.)"

Please tech me this trouble.

Thank you first !