How do I enable Live View for variables when debugging?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enable Live View for variables when debugging?

Jump to solution
davidklamer
Contributor II

I am working with S32 Design Studio using the S32K144EVB with the OpenSDA debugger.  I am trying to enable Live View for variables, where the variables in the watch window will update while the device is running.  However, I can't seem to find it.  Is there something I need to download or a setting I need to change to enable it?

I did some searching and found this article showing the P&E has a plugin for Eclipse.  I installed the latest PEMicro extension as suggested in the article, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I used this feature all the time with CodeWarrior, and would like to use it for S32 Design Studio as well.  Any help would be appreciated! 

Labels (2)
1 Solution
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello David,

The Real Time Expressions View works with any PEMicro cable including OpenSDA interface.

The Live View feature is documented on pemicro PEMicro Blog 

This view is not opened by default in the Debug perspective and you have to add it manually

Simply Go to menu Window -> "Show View" -> "Other..." and type "Real" into the filter field and select " Real Time Expressions"

pastedImage_5.png

The view should appear in the Debug perspective. Now if you add a variable and press "Resume" button (F8 key):

pastedImage_6.png

You should observe the variable is being updated.

If it does not work on your side please send us more details.

Thanks!

Stan

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Srividhya1
Contributor I

how to export those real time expressions values @stanish  into text or excel any data.

0 Kudos
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I'm not aware of any way how to easily log the Real time variables into csv or excel format.

Please try to ask PEmicro | Experts in Embedded tools for Flash Programming and Development

Another approach to capture runtime variables is to use FreeMASTER tool. See the related NXP community here:

FreeMASTER - NXP Community

Hope it helps.

S.

0 Kudos
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

please read the article from PEMicro below. It explains how to setup S32 Design Studio.

PEMicro Blog 

Regards,

Martin

stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello David,

The Real Time Expressions View works with any PEMicro cable including OpenSDA interface.

The Live View feature is documented on pemicro PEMicro Blog 

This view is not opened by default in the Debug perspective and you have to add it manually

Simply Go to menu Window -> "Show View" -> "Other..." and type "Real" into the filter field and select " Real Time Expressions"

pastedImage_5.png

The view should appear in the Debug perspective. Now if you add a variable and press "Resume" button (F8 key):

pastedImage_6.png

You should observe the variable is being updated.

If it does not work on your side please send us more details.

Thanks!

Stan

davidklamer
Contributor II

Thank you!  That is exactly what I needed, and is now working perfectly.