AnsweredAssumed Answered

KDS Linker script section overlap

Question asked by romainbazile on Apr 14, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 by Gerardo Rodríguez

Hey everyone,

I got some troubles with the latest version of the 1.0.2 version of the Kinetis Connectivity Software.

More specifically, I'm trying to compile the host_controlled_device_freertos_frdmkw24 demo, for use with a custom board using an i.MX6UL processor. (This error also happens with the hcd_ota_server example).

I run into a snag with the linker:

/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: section .dummy VMA [000000001ffffffb,0000000020000002] overlaps section .bss VMA [000000001fff8938,0000000020006507]

This happens whether I set gUseBootloaderLink_d to 1 or to 0 in the pre-build step, so I do not believe it's linked to this.

Apparently, a dummy section is generated in the linker file by a script. However, as the error says, there is a section overlap.

The only way to get rid of this is to change the script a:

MKW2xD_ConnSw_1.0.2/middleware/wireless/framework_5.0.5/Common/devices/MKW24D5/gcc/MKW24D512xxx5_connectivity.lld

and to remove the part about the dummy section.

Apparently, this section is there to

/* [...] prevent the linker from placing any variables across the SRAM_L to SRAM_U boundary */

So I'm not sure it's a great idea to remove it.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this, and more importantly how to solve this problem?

I'm using KDS 3.2.0, in a Linux, with the latest arm-gcc toolchain (not the one from KDS, but the problem is the same when I use this one).

Outcomes