Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS binary does not work but IAR release binary works

Jump to solution
tilaklakshmana
Contributor II

Dear Community/NXP,

On FRDM-K64F, I am using the release binary: NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\targets\MK64F12\iar\binaries\freedom_bootloader.bin

With this release binary, I can flash NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\apps\led_demo\MK64F12\iar\binaries\led_demo_freedom_a000.bin using NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\bin\Tools\KinetisFlashTool\win\KinetisFlashTool.exe

via USB-HID: 0x15A2, 0x0073 at Target Address: 0x0000A0000.

However, when I compile the freedom_bootloader.bin using KDS v 3.2 based on this project: NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\targets\MK64F12\kds\freedom_bootloader

Then, the binary obtained does not allow flashing via the USB-HID interface even though the KinetisFlashTool.exe can connect via USB-HID, but writing led_demo_freedom_a000.bin fails with error: kStatusMemoryRangeInvalid.

I hope I am asking this question in the correct community. This seems like a bug in the release version when compiling using KDS. Any hint on how to successfully write after compiling using KDS for bootloader would be great.

Thanks,

Tilak

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tilak,

How are you !

The reason is that the bootloader image size on debug build with KDS is over 0xA000. Here is example for FRDM-K64 debug build, this is the map file:

pastedImage_0.png

But with release build, the map file:

pastedImage_1.png

So there is two method,  one is please download the release version , then it can work well , i have test this.

The other one is change the "Target Address" , also need change the Application project address to the same ,

this one is complex than the first one , so i recommend you use the first method .

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
Alice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello  Tilak,

Please pay attention these two points:

( Kinetis Bootloader v2.0.0 Release Notes.pdf )

pastedImage_0.png

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos
tilaklakshmana
Contributor II

Dear Alice,

Thank you for the pointers to the release notes.

In section 11, I am using "drag and drop" via the debug USB port when it shows as a mBed mass storage device (E:\). This works for the IAR bootloader release binary, so I followed the same procedure for bootloader binary built using KDS. Does "drag and drop" also fall under this known issue that you have highlighted?

I do not have jlink connector specific for FRDM-K64F. However, I tried it on the board in which we are building with jlink. The IAR bootloader release binary and also the KDS compiled bootloader binary can be flashed. However, the flashing the led_demo via USB-HID does not work with KDS compiled binary. I believe the problem is not with debugging or downloading via KDS IDE but the binary compiled with KDS does not work.

In section 12, I follow the procedure as recommended, File->Import->General->Existing Projects into Workspace. I think this is okay.

Kindly let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Tilak

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tilak,

How are you !

The reason is that the bootloader image size on debug build with KDS is over 0xA000. Here is example for FRDM-K64 debug build, this is the map file:

pastedImage_0.png

But with release build, the map file:

pastedImage_1.png

So there is two method,  one is please download the release version , then it can work well , i have test this.

The other one is change the "Target Address" , also need change the Application project address to the same ,

this one is complex than the first one , so i recommend you use the first method .

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
Alice

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

tilaklakshmana
Contributor II

Thank you Alice. I will mark that as the correct answer.

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tilak,

I test on my side ,yes, it also can not work of the KDS file .

I will take a request to the related team , i will reply to you .ASAP.

BR

Alice

0 Kudos