cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot boot from eMMC i.mx6UL EVK

Jump to solution
jacobbower
Contributor I

I have an i.MX6UL-EVK that has had the micro SD card slot removed and an eMMC chip put in its place (MTFC4GACAAAM-4M IT).  The chip is (was) blank. 

I’ve tried loading the board two ways:

I have the L3.14.38_ga_images_MX6UL images.  I used a lauterbach Trace32 to flash the u-boot-imx6ul14x14ddr3arm2_emmc.imx to the eMMC starting at address 0x200.  I then set the boot switches and reboot the board.  I see no output on the debug UART, and after a second or two, the USB HID device shows up if I connect the OTG port to the host PC.

I also tried using the MFGTool.  When using it, the board starts to boot and responds with this:

U-Boot 2015.04-imx_v2015.04_3.14.38_6ul_ga+g5d63276 (Aug 18 2015 - 21:05:16)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX6UL rev1.0 at 396 MHz

CPU:   Temperature 36 C

Reset cause: POR

Board: MX6UL 14X14 DDR3 ARM2

I2C:   ready

DRAM:  1 GiB

force_idle_bus: sda=0 scl=0 sda.gp=0x3 scl.gp=0x2

Can't find PMIC:PFUZE100

initcall sequence bff93d08 failed at call 87802e28 (err=-1)

### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

As the 6UL-EVK does not have a PMIC, I would expect it to not find one, but I don’t understand why the u-boot images for this reference board would be looking for one in the first place.

In either case, I’m not able to successfully boot the device.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

for mfg tool one can look at script

mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd2.vbs,

since eMMC is used instead SD2, it should work for it.

For using procedure in the Linux User's Guide one can try first boot

from qspi.

~igor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jacob

seems this image for other board *arm2" which has pfuse, while

i.MX6UL-EVK has not pfuse. One can try to use image as for sd,

however uboot should be written starting at address 0x400.

Also one can try to program eMMC using procedure described

in sect.4.4.1.2 Using eMMC attached Linux Guide.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
jacobbower
Contributor I

The procedure in the Linux User's Guide presupposes that the device boots in the first place, so it cannot be used in this case.

There were two attempts to boot the board.  The first attempt -- I used the "arm2" image from the latest SDK issued for this board, as indicated by our consultant:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L3.14.38_iMX6UL&appType=license&Parent_nodeId=13376...

The second attempt involved using the MFG Tool and resulted in the missing PMIC output that you see here.  This used an entirely different image altogether, the one that ships with the MFG Tool specified for the i.mx6 UL EVK board.

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

for mfg tool one can look at script

mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd2.vbs,

since eMMC is used instead SD2, it should work for it.

For using procedure in the Linux User's Guide one can try first boot

from qspi.

~igor

0 Kudos
jacobbower
Contributor I

I was able to use this suggestion to flash the MMC device.  It seemed to flash the _sd2 image OK.  It still won't boot off of the eMMC, but this is forward progress, at least.

0 Kudos