Test mport driver for T4240 RapidIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test mport driver for T4240 RapidIO

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Hello  I am working with Freescale t4240 processor.

I want to provide a RapidIo interface to it.for that there is a mport driver  that acts as a bridge from PCI-express to SRIO.i want to test this mport  driver.  

I am. Using Ubuntu 12.04 and have installed QorIQ SDK 1.6 e6500 that  supports T4240.i have also setup the host environment.  

Please provide suggestions in this regard.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
22 Replies

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear Yiping,

Thanks for your response.

I have  added support for it by modifying the kernel.

I have also copied this onto sd card.

I saw the SRA manual as u had suggested but still it is mentioned only for Freescale Rapidio Support.

But we have enabled IDT Tsi721 PCI Express SRIO Controller support.

So wont there be compatibility issues?

Can u please elaborate on this?

Thanks

Aravind

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Aravind,

SRA is user space driver (USDPAA), you need to use this driver in usdpaa package environment.

TSI721 RapidIO bridge driver is provided in Linux Kernel space.

I don't think there is relation between them.

Have a great day,
Yiping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear Yiping

Thanks for your reply.

Does that mean I cannot integrate it with Linux kernel and port to t4240qds?

Then how do I test the rapidio bridge driver.??

Thanks

Aravind

On Sep 9, 2014 3:50 PM, "Yiping Wang" <admin@community.freescale.com>

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Aravind,

The Tsi721 converts from PCIe to RapidIO and vice versa, you have Tsi721 device right?

Have a great day,
Yiping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear Yiping

I have enabled tsi721 in my kernel.

So can I just boot image into t4240 and test it?

What is the purpose of the tsi721 in this case as we are having the

processor?

Alao how to connect the two devices tsi and t4240.

So do you mean that I will have to send sample messages and check if it has

been received?

Please explain

Thanks

Aravind

On Sep 11, 2014 3:22 PM, "Yiping Wang" <admin@community.freescale.com>

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Are you referring to the mport driver for Tsi721? Are you using your own target board?

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Thanks lunminliang.

1)     The mport driver of Tsi721 is for normal Linux kernel.But for interfacing with Freescale's T4240 there is a separate kernel which I have downloaded from your site(i.e QorIQ      SDK  v.1.6 e6500s.

Aren't the mport drivers for the two different.If so then from where i should downliad the specific RapidIO driver for T4240?

2)No I not using any board.As of now I just doing the pre-requisites like the preparation of host system and mport driver test.Does the above testing compulsorily require a board?

Thanks

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are welcome.

1) You mentioned ".for that there is a mport driver  that acts as a bridge from PCI-express to SRIO.i want to test this mport  driver.", so I asked if you are referring to Tsi721, which is a PCIE-SRIO bridge as I know. Yes, you're right to download SDK1.6 if your purpose is to test the SRIO of T4240, refer to Freescale Technical Information Center, see the section "Serial Rapid I/O Interface".

2) I am interested how you test SRIO of T4240 without a board?

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Hello lunminliang,

I think i have found a solution.

I have to enable PCI/PCI-E support in the Linux kernl.THen this has to be ported to T4240 platform.

I saw the FS technical info center.PCI-E is compiled into kernel.

But what else should I do to enable it.They have given kernel configure options but i dont understand them.

So my question is,how to enable pci/pci-e support in kernel ( SDK v.16 e6500 for T4240 Ubuntu 12.04).

Kindly advise,

Thanks,

Aravind Ganesan

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear lunminliang,

Thanks for your support.

1) I saw the RapidIO2 user manual.They have given support for FS SRIO.

But aren't the drivers already integrated with the SDK( I mean the SRIO driver) since SDK contains the Linux drivers.

If it is not so then how do I integrate it with the SDK (source code is not problem as it is given in the Linux source)

2)Then how do i test the mport driver?

3) I have to test using board but I will have to create the image before booting no?

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear Yiping Wang,

Thanks.

1.after downloading SDK1.6 I have installed it and also I have set the host environment.

But to test mport driver I will need the RapidIO driver right. Now is this driver in built in the SDK or should we download and integrate it?

If it is the latter then where will I get the driver and how should I integrate and start using?

2. for testing I am first going to perform a loopback test so can I just build the image on my host and run it there itself.

I am not having much idea in this so please forgive me if I am wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Aravind Ganesan

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear Yiping Wang,

I am having a question.

Actually I just want to test the mport driver of new Srio drivers for freescale but is there any other mport driver?if so then is it associated with rapidio?

Kindly clarify,

Thanks

Aravind Ganesan

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Aravind,

I just answered your previous question as the above, please check whether USDPAA SRIO driver could help you to start your work, please refer to SRA and FRA user manuals, these are Freescale specific features provided in SDK related with SRIO.

Have a great day,
Yiping

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Hello Yiping Wang,

I think i have found a solution.

I have to enable PCI/PCI-E support in the Linux kernl.THen this has to be ported to T4240 platform.

I saw the FS technical info center.PCI-E is compiled into kernel.

But what else should I do to enable it.They have given kernel configure options but i dont understand them.

So my question is,how to enable pci/pci-e support in kernel ( SDK v.16 e6500 for T4240 Ubuntu 12.04)

Kindly adviise,

Thanks,

Aravind Ganesan

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Aravind,

The SRIO driver provided in Linux Kernel is not suitable for T4240(uses RMAN as RapidIO messaging manager), it is only used for P4080(with RMU as message handler unit).

PCI/PCIe is already enabled in the default Linux Kernel configuration file, I am not sure which specific config is what you need.

You could use the following method to configure Kernel in Yocto SDK.

After set up the host build environment, run the command

>>bitbake virtual/kernel -c patch -f

Get the source in build_t4240rdb_release/tmp/work/t4240rdb-fsl-linux/linux-qoriq-sdk/3.12-r0/git/.

>>bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure -f

( this command is used to get the default Kernel configuration file)

Then go to Kernel source folder, and use "make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig" to configure Kernel.

Rebuild Kernel with the command

>>bitbake virtual/kernel

If I didn't get your purpose clearly, please kindly explain more.

Have a great day,
Yiping

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear Yiping,

Thanks for your help. I have understood quite a bit.

1. If SRIO is not present for T4240 in kernel then from where I should add it?

2. You mean I will have to enable the PCI/PCI-e by executing the commands given by you?

Purpose::::As we discussed in previous messages I will have to test tsi721 driver. For that I will have to enable pcie and port to any t4240 platform. From this I can select the tsi721 in bus configuration option.

Kindly help,

Thanks

Aravind

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Aravind,

1. As I mentioned previously, for T4240 Linux SDK provides user space driver for SRIO, please refer to SRA document to test SRIO driver under USDPAA  section.

2. Please following the steps I mentioned above, run command "make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig" to configure Kernel and enable tsi721 at

Bus Options->

[*]RapidIO support->

<*>IDT Tsi721 PCI Express SRIO Controller support

Have a great day,
Yiping

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear Yiping Wang,

Thanks for your reply.

I referred the SRA manual.

In addition will I have to do the kernel configurations for RapidIO first and then for Tsi721 support?

But then when should i transfer the image to the platform?

The kernel configuration should be done in the board or in the SDK itself?

Then how do I boot the images into platform?

I have seen the documentation for boot but i dont understand fully.

Can you please explain.

Thanks,

Aravind Ganesan

0 Kudos

aravindganesan
Contributor I

Dear Yiping Wang,

I referred the manuals.There is a RapidIO driver http://www.freescale.com/infocenter/index.jsp?topic=%2FQORIQSDK%2F2915474.html.

Was this the driver mentioned by you?

Also what is difference,if any b/w the above driver and tsi721 driver?

Also I saw support for RapidIO driver in linux kernel source tree: linux/drivers/rapidio

FS SDK incorportaes the Linux source tree so I dont need to download SRIO driver and integrate it.

But my question is how do I access the mport driver?

Sorry for asking so many questions.I am quite confused and well,spending quite a lot of time in this.

Thanks,

Aravind Ganesan

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Aravind,

QorIQ SDK 1.6 Linux Kernel doesn't provide more SRIO drivers except a simple RapidIO driver in arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_rio.c.

You need to implement you purpose based on Generic Linux RapidIO support in drivers/rapidio/.

You could get the Kernel source with the command

bitbake virtual/kernel -c patch -f

Then you will get Kernel source in build_t4240rdb_release/tmp/work/tt4240rdb-fsl-linux/linux-qoriq-sdk/3.12-r0/git.

You could use "make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig " to configure Kernel driver and rebuild Kernel with "bitbake virtual/kernel"

If further assistance is needed, please kindly provide more description about your purpose.

Have a great day,
Yiping