Is there a bug in PE of codewarrior 10.6?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a bug in PE of codewarrior 10.6?

Amit_Kumar1
Senior Contributor II

HI

I have been using code warrior since last 1 year I used codewarrior 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and  KDS beta. I just tried KDS beta version for few times. currently I moved to 10.6 and found some issues regarding serial communication over UART. I configured using PE as I always do in all of my project so that I can visualize the results. in CW 10.6 some times  no data is send or received over UART. I tried using console_Io as well as serial_LDD. but for both no output came and the code hanged in printf(); for console_io. Then I realized that the PE is not working properly for clock configuration. i.e it is not showing any error messages in CW10.6 if you exceed the limits. I tried making some demo code for FRDM-K20D50M boards, following images will point out what the issue I faced.

Clock settings for K20DX128VLF5 using PE in codewarrior 10.5 (showing error as i cross the allowable limit i.e 50MHz)

PE -10.5.jpg   

Clock settings for K20DX128VLF5 using PE in codewarrior 10.6 (not showing error as i cross the allowable limit i.e 50MHz)

PE-10.6.jpg

As the Baudrate is completely dependent on clock settings so obviously it won't work at this settings.

I tried the standard setting which used to work for FRDM-K20D50M board i.e

clk.jpg

in CW 10.6 it is not working... sometimes it works (created new projects with same settings).

Following are the screenshots of PE version.

PE in CW 10.6

PE_for_CW10.6.jpg

PE in CW 10.5

PE_for_CW10.5.jpg

Kindly check for the issue . I was unable to find the Errata for CW 10.6

Kind Regards

Amit Kumar

3 Replies

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Amit:

I recreated the issue with CW v10.6. You are correct that Processor Expert does not show error when exceeding the limit frequency. However, I tried using CW v10.6 to configure clock in the same way you did it with CW v10.5. Comparing the code generated by CW v10.5 and CW v10.6 for the correct limit (50 MHz), they are the same, so if this does not work there should be something else different.

About the issue, I need to report this to our developers. I will let you know about their feedback.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

Amit_Kumar1
Senior Contributor II

HI Jorge

Thanks for responding. My UART Didn't worked when I changed the clk from higher value to 50 Mhz while configuring. as i used console_IO . In case when configured UART with default clk i.e 20.9716 Mhz then it works. Hope to get this issue resolved soon

Kind Regards

Amit Kumar

0 Kudos

Petr_H
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

We have analysed the problem and it's a defect in Processor Expert. As a workaround it's necessary to keep the frequency in the limits. If you are not sure, there you can get suggestions for allowed values using CTRL+SPACE or the small bulb icon - this works properly.

We apologize for the inconvenience, it will be fixed in the next update.

Best regards

Petr Hradsky

Processor Expert Support Team