Gunnar von Boehn

Coldfire compatible FPGA core with ISA enhancement - Brainstorming

Discussion created by Gunnar von Boehn on May 14, 2013
Latest reply on May 17, 2013 by Gunnar von Boehn

Hello,

I work as chip developer.

While creating a super scalar Coldfire ISA-C compatible FPGA Core implementation,

I've noticed some possible "Enhancements" of the ISA.

I would like to hear your feedback about their usefulness in your opinion.

Many thanks in advance.

1) Support for BYTE and WORD instructions.

I've noticed that re-adding the support for the Byte and Word modes to the Coldfire comes relative cheap.

The cost in the FPGA for having "Byte, Word, Longword" for arithmetic and logic instructions like

ADD, SUB, CMP, OR, AND, EOR, ADDI, SUBI, CMPI, ORI, ANDI, EORI - showed up to be neglect-able.

Both the FPGA size increase as also the impact on the clockrate was insignificant.

2) Support for more/all EA-Modes in all instructions

In the current Coldfire ISA the instruction length is limited to 6 Byte, therefore some instructions have EA mode limitations.

E.g  the EA-Modes available in the immediate instruction are limited.

That currently instructions can either by 2,4, or 6  Byte length - reduces the complexity of the Instruction Fetch Buffer logic.

The complexity of this unit increases as more options the CPU supports - therefore not supporting a range from 2 to over 20 like 68K - does reduce chip complicity.

Nevertheless in my tests it showed that adding support for 8 Byte encoding came for relative low cost.

With support of 8 Byte instruction length, the FPU instruction now can use all normal EA-modes - which makes them a lot more versatile.

MOVE instruction become a lot more versatile and also the Immediate Instruction could also now operate on memory in a lot more flexible ways.

While with 10 Byte instructions length support - there are then no EA mode limitations from the users perspective - in our core it showed that 10 byte support start to impact clockrate - with 10 Byte support enabled we did not reach anymore the 200 MHz clockrate in Cyclone FPGA that the core reached before.

I'm interested in your opinion of the usefulness of having Byte/Word support of Arithmetic and logic operations for the Coldfire.

Do you think that re-adding them would improve code density or the possibility to operate with byte data?

I would also like to know if you think that re-enabling the EA-modes in all instruction would improve the versatility of the Core.

Many thanks in advance.

Gunnar

Outcomes