Yocto - Working with the Toolchain

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yocto - Working with the Toolchain

jparrish88
Contributor IV

I just started using Yocto by Following How to test yocto for imx6 .

Now I'd like to build another project with the build-derived toolchain or the ADT installer toolchain.

I'd also like to use eclipse and the Yocto plugin.

So the first thing I tried was the ADT, it looked like it would be the easier method.

I followed the steps here: http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.3/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#adt-intro-sectionhttp://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.3/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#adt-intro-sectionhttp://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.3/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#adt-intro-section

In doing so I typed the commands bitbake adt-installer then the log showed that it had succeeded.

So I found the ADT installer tarball in /build/tmp/deploy/sdk

Extracted that to a folder in my ~/. then I ran the adt-installer script. I didn't change the configuration.

That installed files to /opt/poky/1.3/.

From there I should have been set to use the eclipse yocto plugin.

In order to set up Eclipse and the Yocto plugin I followed these directions: http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.3/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#adt-eclipsehttp://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.3/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#adt-eclipse

I went with Juno and I installed the pre-built yocto plugin (I thought it would be the safest).

After everything was installed, and two restarts later... I went into window -> preferences -> Yocto Project ADT

This window let me set where my toolchain was being pulled from.

I entered /opt/poky/1.3/ into both the toolchain root and the sysroot.

In the drop down I'm suppose to select my toolchain.

Screenshot-Preferences-ADT.png

Here is where I found out I should have changed the adt install scripts configuration.

It only showed that I could select either ARMv5te or i586.

Obviously I screwed up. But I should be able to build using this toolchain. So I started a new project as the directions state.

I build the project and it gives me this output:

Screenshot-C-C++ - Eclipse-ADT.png

Okay so I messed up the ADT install. Turns out the configuration built for the wrong platform.

So then I tried to redirect eclipse to use my build derived toolchain.

So I entered in bitbake: bitbake meta-ide-support

It completed successfully and I saw a sysroot folder and an environment-setup file be placed in the /build/tmp directory.

So I go back into the eclipse and I I reconfigure it for a build derived toolchain.

But nothing appears in the toolchain drop down.

Screenshot-Preferences-BD.png

If I try to hit ok, even though my target arch is greyed out I get this.

Screenshot-Yocto Project Configuration Error.png

Here is the weird part, if I select standalone pre-built I get a toolchain in the drop down.

However, I can't select apply or ok.

Screenshot-Preferences-BD-SA.png

That said, I'm not sure what else I can do to get the Yocto plug in to work.

I then tried to just to use the environment-setup file now located in the /build/tmp directory to build a Makefile based project - Uboot.

It failed by saying that the project was not setup. (Most likely this error is from my inexperience with compling uboot)

Any help or advice would be well received. Thanks!

I couldn't share it without you having to follow me.

DaianeAngolini and OtavioSalvador

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
9 Replies

synthnassizer
Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I am using ubuntu 12.04, eclipse indigo, and have bitbaked rootfs & toolchain from yocto 'dylan (v1.4.1)'.

I then went on to setup eclipse for yocto devel & debug. followed the procedures from : Yocto Project Development Manual  (section 4.2.2.1.3.)

When I try to install the yocto ADT plugin it whines saying that:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.

Software being installed: Yocto Project ADT Plug-in 1.4.0.201304182148 (org.yocto.sdk.feature.group 1.4.0.201304182148)

Missing requirement: Yocto Project ADT Plug-in 1.4.0.201304182148 (org.yocto.sdk.feature.group 1.4.0.201304182148) requires 'org.eclipse.cdt.autotools.core 1.1.0' but it could not be found

well the Autotools are definitely installed already, but the version that is stated next to the installed version is "Autotools support for CDT (Incubation)    3.0.1.201202152032"

I also built the yocto-eclipse plugin from source and tried installing that too. Same thing happens.

Anyone has seen that? how could I go about this problem ?

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

OtavioSalvador don´t you have a movie showing how to configure it? Where is it?

I think the missing step would be to create the toolchain

bitbake meta-toolchain

jparrish88
Contributor IV

I tried this, on your suggestion, unfortunately it led to the same result.

I truly appreciate your help. Do you happen to have any other possible ideas?

0 Kudos

thomaslin
Contributor IV

Find a script(*.sh) in tmp. Then it will install toolchain in /opt. Select toochain/sysroot in there. Good Luck.

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

Sorry Thomas but I didn't get you; did it work for you?

0 Kudos

thomaslin
Contributor IV

Yes, please check 2nd pic of https://community.freescale.com/thread/305027.

I can create a "hello world!" code by esclipse and execute in TTY debug mode ok.

After that, system crash by Ubuntu kernel upgrade. :smileysad:

Try to fix so far. I will try to do similar job in Qt.

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

You need to first fix your host or you'll have a bad time working on all this.

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

I am sorry but I don't. We have customers using it in their customized BSPs so it works fine for all us.

The Eclipse error about meta-ide-support might be because it does not know where your build system is locate. I never used it this way as we build the toolchain for the customers and they use it with Eclipse but I'd try to open Eclipse from same terminal you did the environment setup to bitbake (after sourcing it).

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II