cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Linux from scratch for Coral devkit

RA1981
Contributor I

Hello,

I want to learn how to build Linux (and maybe Android) for embedded devices. The main goal is to write drivers. I've already worked with Cortex-M microcontrollers, so I think using an i.MX8 with auxilliary M4 core is a nice add-on. While searching for an appropriate platform, I came across the Coral devkit which is additionally interesting because of the Edge TPU and the board doesn't cost much.

I wonder what would be needed to build Linux from scratch for this board? For the first steps I'd use the Coral Mendel distribution, but later I want to build the system by myself. The "getting started with Mendel Linux" guide describes how to do it by using several tools like Gerrit, Docker, etc. but I don't want to be fixed to them. I also want to be able to try other approaches as well. Looking at Raspberry PI where it seems that there are multiple ways to build a Linux system for it, I assume it should also be possible for the i.MX8 and the Coral devkit. For example, the i.MX8 documentation uses YOCTO to build Linux for the i.MX8 devices.
So, for example, if I decide to use YOCTO, how would Linux be build for the Coral devkit? What would be needed? Has anyone already build a 'non-Mendel' Linux for the Coral devkit?

Regards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies