cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1064 external SPI flash programming

Jump to solution
John_Lin
Contributor I

We have a custom board that use RT1064 with a 32MB SPI flash. We are going to use this SPI flash  to store the GUI resources, and use the internal 4MB flash to store the code.

We are able to program both flashs by using the MCUXPresso IDE, but eventually, we want to program them by using USB. 

So my question is: how can we program the external 32MB flash. I have gone through many documentation, including the i.MX RT1064 Manufacturing User's Guide , but I still can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone please give me more detail?

Thanks!

John

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) How can we program the external 32MB flash. I have gone through much documentation, including the i.MX RT1064 Manufacturing User's Guide, but I still can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone please give me more detail?
-- From my experience, it needs the developer to adjust the flashloader to support to program external flash that connects to the RT1064, as it only supports the internal flash defaultly.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Fuguo
Contributor I

Hi John, 

Not sure if you have resoved this problem yet or not.

If you see some test pad/pins on your RT1064 board for external flash, you may connect a profesional flash programmer to directly program this 32MB spi flash. You can use a Acroview AP8000 to do this job. 

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) How can we program the external 32MB flash. I have gone through much documentation, including the i.MX RT1064 Manufacturing User's Guide, but I still can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone please give me more detail?
-- From my experience, it needs the developer to adjust the flashloader to support to program external flash that connects to the RT1064, as it only supports the internal flash defaultly.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

John_Lin
Contributor I

@jeremyzhou Do you have further suggestions?  Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
John_Lin
Contributor I

Thank you for your reply.

But I did see that the "MCU Flashloader reference manual ( Document Number: MCUFLSHLDRRM
)" mention external memory support on chapter 6. What's that mean?

Do you have further document about how to program the external SPI flash?

Can "MCUBootUtility" be used for this purpose?

John_Lin_0-1653537147039.png

Thank you!

John

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
For RT1064, its internal flash is also a QSPI essentially, which connects to the FlexSPI and is packaged with the Soc together.
So the RT1064's flashloader only supports configuring this internal flash.
Hope this is clear.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos