cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx8mq problem creating bootable sdcard image

asolochek
Contributor I

Hello,

I have an imx8mqevk and am able to successfully write and boot the demo image from a flash card. However, I am unable to boot my custom made image. The only .sdcard image generated by bitbake is .rootfs.sdcard, which which seems to suggest it isn't actually the entire sdcard image, which would be consistent with it apparently not having a bootloader on it.

Some earlier attempts at this did result in a sdcard with the expected partition table, and windows would mount the bootloader partition (although it did complain about the FAT filesystem having some errors, which it corrected to it's satisfaction), but my current build does not mount at all. The partition table looks reasonable, but windows silently ignores the bootloader partition, and pops up the expected "do you want to format this drive" dialog for the ext4 partition.

Anyway, I am building this in a docker container on windows, using ubuntu 16.04. I'm following the instructions from the i.MX Yocto user guide, Doc number IMXLXYOCTOUG, Rev L4.9.88_2.0.0-ga, 05/2018.

I have all the packages required, plus some that aren't mentioned in the doc, such as locales, sudo, and python3, and I'm running bitbake like this:

$ MACHINE=imx8mqevk DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland source setup-environment build

$ MACHINE=imx8mqevk DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland source  fsl-setup-release.sh -b build

$ bitbake fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx

What am I missing?

I'm attaching my dockerfile as reference.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

asolochek
Contributor I

I don't know the root cause of this problem, but the guide I was following was having me build rocko. When I switched to sumo the sdcard images booted without a problem.

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Aaron,

Its all right your bitbake. You need a format your sdcard and put the switches of the board to boot from SD. Then you need to burn your *.sdcard  to your sd with dd command in linux. the you will have to insert in board and that its.

Regards

0 Kudos

asolochek
Contributor I

Hi,

I have the fuses set correctly and have written and booted from the SD card when I flash the pre-built demo image onto the card. However none of the builds I have done result in an SD card image that boots. The problem doesn't seem to be with linux, but rather the problem is with uboot. With the images I have built I do not get any output on the serial console at all. There is something going wrong with uboot very early in the boot process.

I have even done a diff of the first 1M of the SD card when it has my image and the demo image on it, and apart from size of the second partition being different, they are identical, so I am really at a loss as to how to further debug this.

0 Kudos

cgong
Contributor II

I use a tool called balena Etcher on Windows 7 to flash the SD card with success. Maybe you can try.

0 Kudos

asolochek
Contributor I

I am also using Etcher on windows. There is something wrong with the uboot in the image that is being built.

0 Kudos