cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx53 CSI camera interface

JoshuaParrish
Contributor I

Hello,

I was hoping that someone could help me.

I would like to know how to write a driver for the imx csi interface. 

I'm relatively new to linux. 

The camera driver I need to write (or to get) is for a MT9v113 Aptina imager. 

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'd like to make this driver v4l compatible. 

I'm just not really sure how to start. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

JoshuaParrish
Contributor I

Aaron sorry for the late reply.

I know this will sound weird, but trust you will save a crazy amount of time. 

Go into the freescale tree. find under drivers (I can't remember the exact folder but there should be an mxc folder) 

In that folder you will find drivers for both Aptina and Omnivision cameras. Pick one of the drivers based on the manufacturer you choose for your cam. Now this is the weird part. If your driver model isn't mentioned don't worry. Just copy the driver that is there and then make a new one for your model. 

From there start modifying the driver in order to satisfy what your camera registers need. 

After you do that you will have to build your driver against the imx53 kernel. This is tricky and I can't remember all the steps. The make file will need the address(folder addr) of the kernel. 

From there should be able to build your driver and have a working version if you've manipulated it correctly. 

Get your driver onto your imx start up the mxc_camera driver then start your driver. Then you can open the camera interface using the test tools in the test unit directory. 

0 Kudos

AaronLinsdau
Contributor I

Joshua,

Did you ever have success with your project?  I'm in the same boat and have been floundering for quite some time.  Any guidance (other than read the manual ;) ) would be wonderfully helpful.

0 Kudos

JoshuaParrish
Contributor I

The way I accomplished a video link was to base a new driver off one of the already made drivers. In other words I built the new driver off the ov3650 driver. Everything eventually worked out. 

0 Kudos

AaronLinsdau
Contributor I

Danny,

Did you have some success?  I'm working through the same problem and hopefully you can provide the rough steps you used to get the video from your sensor to a display or a file.

Thanks!

Danny Nold said:

Hi Joshua,

I'd recommend you start by looking at the material in the i.MX53 System Development User's Guide.  There's a chapter in that document titled "Supporting the i.MX53 Camera Senser Interface CSI0".  This chapter covers the basics for how to add support for a new sensor.

You can find the document on freescale.com in the Documentation section of the MX53 page for the Quick Start board.

Thanks,

Danny

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Take a look at other Aptina camera drivers available in the kernel currently inside drivers/media/video directory

I can see that mt9t112.c is supported and that can probably be a good reference for your particular model.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos

DannyNold
Contributor I

Hi Joshua,

I'd recommend you start by looking at the material in the i.MX53 System Development User's Guide.  There's a chapter in that document titled "Supporting the i.MX53 Camera Senser Interface CSI0".  This chapter covers the basics for how to add support for a new sensor.

You can find the document on freescale.com in the Documentation section of the MX53 page for the Quick Start board.

Thanks,

Danny

0 Kudos