i.MX6 idiot-proof dev image for OpenCL

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 idiot-proof dev image for OpenCL

ghostwail
Contributor I

I'm trying to get started with OpenCL on i.MX6. I've seen a number of guides for getting started with SabreSD and Linux, most of them from 2013/14. Every single time I try to go through one of them, I run into troubles. How to install the BSP, how to get images, recompile the kernel, get drivers, ...

What I would like is a 2016-day step by step guide to getting a Linux OS (preferably Debian but Ubuntu is fine) with working OpenCL.

1. what do I need, beside my SabreSD with SD-card and micro-USB serial?

2. is there an available image for the board, with the GPU drivers and opencl libs ready to go?

3. if not, what do I need to make one? Given a distribution, do I need to get the GPU drivers? Where? Is that what etnaviv is? How do I install them, do I need to rebuild the kernel? Can I start with whichever kernel version, or should I start with a specific version?

4. I've found this, but I don't know what to do with it: L4.1.15-1.0.0-ga_images_MX6QDLSOLO

5. once I have the drivers, how do I access them with opencl? There are a number of interesting packages I found: ocl_icd_opencl_dev, libclc-dev, ocl-icd-dev, mesa-opencl-icd (this one made clinfo give **some** info, but Number of devices: 0), libdrm-etnaviv0, libdrm-etnaviv1, ... I'm not sure what all of these do, and which I should choose if any of them.

As you see, I am in the dark, it feels like there are a number of tracks to follow, but they look like old tracks and every time I start following one, I get lost.

My wish is to find a guide that tells me where to get an image, how to modify it if necessary, to let me run clinfo and see my devices.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi gauthier

1. what do I need, beside my SabreSD with SD-card and micro-USB serial?

--- Also you migth need a PC host with ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04 installed.

2. is there an available image for the board, with the GPU drivers and opencl libs ready to go?

--- Yes the Yocto demo images includes GPU driver and unit test sample apps for grpahics, Opencv, and opencl, you cna get it from:

L4.1.15_2.0.0_MX6QDLSOLO 

3. if not, what do I need to make one? Given a distribution, do I need to get the GPU drivers? Where? Is that what etnaviv is? How do I install them, do I need to rebuild the kernel? Can I start with whichever kernel version, or should I start with a specific version?

The source code is available to be downloaded from: i.MX 6Quad SABRE Development Board|NXP 

For debian based build instruction:

Debian on the i.MX6 sabre sd platform in a few commands 

4. I've found this, but I don't know what to do with it: L4.1.15-1.0.0-ga_images_MX6QDLSOLO

-- Please read the Linux yocto user guide in order to burn your SD with this image and boot your target board. Download the documentation package from:

i.MX6Q|i.MX 6Quad Processors|Quad Core|NXP 

5. once I have the drivers, how do I access them with opencl?

i.Mx6  GPU driver support OpenCL 1.1, once you have installed all the Linux BSP, please check the documentation folder for the graphics user guide and follow the steps to run opencl.

regards

0 Kudos