Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6, Chromium and hardware acceleration

Jump to solution
Filippo
Contributor III

Hi all,

I need to implement a solution that has Chromium browser and hardware accelerated H264 decoding to receive a stream from VLC in multicast ( rtp ).

Afaik, Chromium uses ffmpeg and I have successfully compiled Chromium with the hardware GPU acceleration ( stolen from Yocto ... ) , but it seems to me the H264 decoder is not used, only the GPU.

In any case, Chromium needs something external to get a multicast stream, and our customer asks for a vlc plugin, but in my understanding the vlc plugin doesn't make use of the hardware decoder present in the i.MX6.

Somebody knows something about this ?

Regards

Filippo

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Filippo,

GStreamer relies on hardware (VPU) features of the i.MX6. VLC may be used only in software way. if you are porting chromium from yocto make sure kernel, gpu drivers, vpu and codecs works on the same kernel version you are using.

hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Filippo,

GStreamer relies on hardware (VPU) features of the i.MX6. VLC may be used only in software way. if you are porting chromium from yocto make sure kernel, gpu drivers, vpu and codecs works on the same kernel version you are using.

hope this helps

0 Kudos