i.MX53 Quick Start Board, Linux or Android?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX53 Quick Start Board, Linux or Android?

rabbit
Contributor III

I have a i.MX53 Quick Start Board, the DVD comes with Linux. I am thinking to start a project for it, I prefer to learn Android through this project.

Anyone can point out the difference between Linux and Android?

Regards

Sam

Labels (3)
7 Replies

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

This is not an easy question. It depends on the type of product you're intending to do. I will share my personal view about this...

When the product is a tablet-like and is intended to have 3rd party apps and a reuse Android apps, Android is my the choice; otherwise I'd use Linux. Android will easy some things but it will also be a "fat system" due the number of abstraction layers it has while Linux allows you to make a much lean system which has exactly what you need, no fat.

Without a clear and more deep understanding about your product, experience and wishes it is hard to make a suggestion.

rabbit
Contributor III

This will run Apps, with some UART interface to low level hardware and Ethernet for remote control, touch screen interface to operator.

The i.MX53 kit comes with Linux, without Android.

If I start it with Android, where can I get the Android i.MX53 examples?

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

For this type of system I'd go for plain Linux. It is too simple system with no gain in use Android ecosystem.

0 Kudos

rabbit
Contributor III

We already have a number of Android Apps, this new design will run Android Apps as well, this is why we prefer Android.

Where can I get the Android i.MX53 examples and step by step guide?

0 Kudos

jianchang
Contributor I

Here it is http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMXANDROID

But regrettable they have only Android 2.3.7 version based on 2.6 kernel

as for this platform.

0 Kudos

rabbit
Contributor III

I download, and unzip the file, but I can't find the user instructions file .

0 Kudos

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos