i.MX53 QSB Audio Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX53 QSB Audio Issue

AnthonyTong
Contributor I
Is the audio of the QSB supposed to work out-of-the-box? I am trying to make the audio on my QSB works but to no avail. If the sound is not enabled by default, what should I do to enable it?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

KenSnyder
Contributor I

Anthony,

In one of your messages you mention the following: "I booted up the board with the kernel I complied, which is based on BSP 11.05 download from freescale and I also linked the drivers for SoC audio (SGTL5000 and S/PDIF) statically to the kernel. The RFS I used is the lucid for 11.05 BSP downloaded from freescale. With this configuration I can play some audio files, with some issues: "

How do choose to link or not link a driver or anything for that matter? I can't see anyway to include or exclude a source file from the ltib build utility.

Regards,

Ken Snyder

0 Kudos

GunjanSamaiya
Contributor I

Hi Mahesh 

I am using imx53 board with android Gingerbread, so where I can put this "asound.conf" file for HDMI audio work?

Mahesh Mahadevan said:

3. Is the HDMI daughter board with sound output? I have the board and according to the schematic the SPDIF interface of QSB is connected to the HDMI transceiver. I am trying to make the HDMI audio works but to no avail. Do I need to do some additional configuration steps to make SPDIF the default audio device?

Yes, HDMI audio has been tested. I have attached a file, please copy this file to /etc folder and reboot the board.

0 Kudos

MaheshMahadevan
Contributor I

3. Is the HDMI daughter board with sound output? I have the board and according to the schematic the SPDIF interface of QSB is connected to the HDMI transceiver. I am trying to make the HDMI audio works but to no avail. Do I need to do some additional configuration steps to make SPDIF the default audio device?

Yes, HDMI audio has been tested. I have attached a file, please copy this file to /etc folder and reboot the board.

0 Kudos

MaheshMahadevan
Contributor I

2. On the Ubuntu Desktop if I click System->Preference->Sound, I got a dialog saying "Waiting for sound system to response" and it just stay there. And I also cannot control the volume on the desktop panel. Does it mean that the audio driver is not installed properly so it cannot control the codec chip on the board?

Try under “Applications -> Sound & Video -> aumix/mixer” for audio settings

0 Kudos

AnthonyTong
Contributor I

Thank you for your reply, and I managed to get the audio works today.

I booted up the board with the kernel I complied, which is based on BSP 11.05 downloaded from freescale and I also linked the drivers for SoC audio (SGTL5000 and S/PDIF) statically to the kernel. The RFS I used is the lucid for 11.05 BSP downloaded from freescale. With this configuration I can play some audio files, with some issues: 

1. I play the audio files by just clicking the file in Ubuntu Desktop. Wav audio file playback seems fine, but for mp3 playback the sound quality drops considerably, as if the file is played at a very low sampling rate (I am not a digital audio guy so it is just my guess). Maybe the default lucid RFS doesn't have proper MP3 codec installed, is it correct?

2. On the Ubuntu Desktop if I click System->Preference->Sound, I got a dialog saying "Waiting for sound system to response" and it just stay there. And I also cannot control the volume on the desktop panel. Does it mean that the audio driver is not installed properly so it cannot control the codec chip on the board?

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

How did you try to make audio work?

Do you have Android, linux or Ubuntu?

Gstreamer, gplay or aplay?

0 Kudos