cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX28 and wpa_supplicant?

MadsNielsen
Contributor I

Hello!

Have any of you been successful enabling wpa_supplicant for the i.MX28?
I can't figure out how to enable it - could you share a solution?

Thank you for your time!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

samuelsalas
Contributor III

Thank you for your reply,

I finally chose this chip from Blue Giga http://www.bluegiga.com/wf111-wi-fi-module

I found on the support page the source code, and a big brand from my sector (home appliances) use it. so I'd rather try it instead of paying 3000€ with Redpine.

I might have the same trouble so your 4 pages might help me...

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

I'd use Yocto which has wpa-supplicant working fine. MX28 is supported in it and should be easy to start on a new project.

Yocto has a good community around it and currently most commonly used SoCs from i.MX platform is already supported by the meta-fsl-arm layer.

You can find more information how to make a build at https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94023

0 Kudos

SteveRathjen
Contributor III

Did you ever get this working?

I was able to use the wpa supplicant with the i.MX28 EvK, but still having problems getting it to connect to my access point (passkey not matching).  I'm using an H&D Wireless SPB-104 SDIO Wifi adapter.

To unpack the wpa supplicant (I couldn't find it listed in LTIB - If anyone can post saying where it is in LTIB menus that would be great!) - here's what I did:

~/imx28/ltib>./ltib -m prep -p wpa_supplicant

~/imx28/ltib>./ltib -m scbuild -p wpa_supplicant

~/imx28/ltib>./ltib -m scinstall -p wpa_supplicant

~/imx28/ltib>./ltib -m scdeploy -p wpa_supplicant

Rebuilt SD card with ./mk_mx28_sd

The executables end up in /usr/local/sbin/ on the EVK.

Check around the net for info on running wpa and making the wpa_supplicant.conf file..  One mistake I made was to assume the 'ctrl_interface = /var/run/wpa_supplicant' statement in the .conf file points to the executable - this is NOT correct... it points to another folder it uses to create the interface.

Here's my wpa_supplicant.conf so far:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={

ssid="anySSID"

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

group=TKIP CCMP

pairwise=TKIP CCMP

proto=WPA WPA2

psk="xxxxxxxxxx"

}

I start WPA with:

wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iowl0 -c /home/user/wpa_supplicant.conf -B

the -B makes it run in background so I omit to see what's going on..

I have found little info on setting up Wifi on i.MX28 - hopefully this will help!

Steve

0 Kudos

samuelsalas
Contributor III

Any better in your tries? I want to try the same module (46€ @ Farnell), with the sources for SAM9 (http://linux.hd-wireless.se).

The Redpine RS9110-N-11-02 is the same price (more or less) but you have to pay the fees for the driver...

Do you think the SAM9 driver for H&D will work with imx28?

Do you think it's better using wpa_supplicant?

0 Kudos

SteveRathjen
Contributor III

My WPA work was put on hold - and I never got it to connect.  But, I am fairly confident that it will.  I will be starting on it again soon.  WEP works fine and seems a bit easier to implement from a developers point of view.  WPA seems more end-user-friendly, ie. passkey's can be variable lengths.  WPA is probably most commonly used today...

For the H&D SPD-104: I think you'd best start here: http://linux.hd-wireless.se/bin/view/Linux/BuildDrivers .  I'm not sure if the SAM9 files will work, but my instincts say no.  The instructions seem quite different than iMX28 and LTIB.  I don't want to kidnap this thread, but it has been quiet.  There are a lot of steps needed to get the SPD-104 running on the iMX28 Evk Board.  I've got 4 pages of detailed notes here!  Let me know if you get stuck... probably should start a new thread too.

0 Kudos

vikranthreddy
Contributor II

Hi Steve,

I've been trying to add wpa-supplicant to Linux-BSP build for iMX28 (L2.6.35_1.1.0_130130_source.tar.gz). It doesn't show up in LTIB build configuration menu.

I've tried to build manually with following command, as mentioned in your post above.

./ltib -m prep -p wpa_supplicant

It gave an error in unzipping the wpa_supplicant package. When I checked the packages directory in /opt/freescale, the size of the file is 1044 bytes, which doesn't seem correct.

Where can I find the right source for wpa-supplicant package for iMx28 Linux-BSP? Or do I need to port it from x86 base wpa_supplicant from below link ?Linux WPA Supplicant (IEEE 802.1X, WPA, WPA2, RSN, IEEE 802.11i)

Can you share your Notes on making SPD-104 running on iMx28 Evk Board ?

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos

SteveRathjen
Contributor III

Hi Vikranthreddy,

My wpa_supplicant gz file is 717KB.  I'm using L2.6.35_10.12.01_SDK_source, and I'm guessing that is the difference between yours and mine.  I'd seek out that file and extract the wpa_supplicant 0.5.9 package from that. However, I was never able to establish a connection using WPA and my next idea was to upgrade the WPA from rev 0.5.9.

My notes on connecting the SPD-104 are hand written so it would be very time consuming to share them.  In essence the major steps were:

1) Verify SD/MMC socket is enabled and working by inserting any SD memory card - change kernel command line in LTIB add "ssp1".. mine is: noinitrd console=ttyAM0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rw rootwait ip=none ssp1 

2) Enable Wireless Extensions in build:  edit /ltib/rpm/BUILD/linux/net/wireless/kconfig file - first two lines to

config WIRELESS_EXT

def_bool y

(There may be a better way to do this-- using LTIB menus maybe?)

3) Compile driver from H&D (link in my previous post) - I added dummy functions in owl_net.c to get past compiler warnings:

void __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr0(void){}

void __aeabi_unwind_cpp_pr1(void){}

I think that's it, but if not let me know and I'll look through the notes again.. Good luck and let me know if you can establish a WPA connection with WPA 0.5.9...

Steve