Yocto build BSP seems slower then LTIB for video capture and display

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yocto build BSP seems slower then LTIB for video capture and display

makislivadas
Contributor IV

Started using Yocto to build BSP for SabreSD imx6q evaluation board.

Build X11 system for BSP and SDK to get the toolchain to build my test application.

I have managed to get a system to capture from the on board camera and display on HDMI display.

The same code runs on last LTIB BSP and on new Yocto BSP.

I experiencing a reduction in performance by almost 30% when using Yocto BSP.

Upon investigation I have narrowed down the issue to the way data is copied from and to MMAP memory used for capture and display. I tried to configure the kernel and cannot see any major differences to the way the kernel was build with LTIB.

I am not sure if this a known issue with Yocto, but any advice on what can be done to improve speed will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Makis

I would suggest to try new

Freescale Linux 3.10.31-1.1.0_alpha release

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git/tree/README?h=imx-3.10.31-1.1.0_alph...

and post possible questions to developers on meta-fsl-arm mailing list

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/listinfo/meta-freescale

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

makislivadas
Contributor IV

Hi,

I decided to try again to build Yocto release 3.10.17 (X11) and I can confirm that the new build is actually slightly better for me then LTIB BSP. My original build attempt of 3.10.17 got me actually build a 3.0.35 Yocto X11 BSP. So something must have gone wrong with the build which can explain the performance issues I was seeing. Luckily the problem was not due to the new release. so I will now addopt the Yocto system.

Makis

0 Kudos