cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Flash memory for booting the MIMXRT1024CAG4B

sowmiya_a
Contributor I

Hi,

1 )  We are planning to use on-chip SIP 4M Flash Memory for booting the MIMXRT1024CAG4B. Based on the reference manual IMXRT1024RM chapter9, we are assuming that  FlexSPI Instance 1 refers to on-chip SIP 4M Flash Memory .please refer attached image for details and conform on our understanding.

sowmiya_a_0-1672028784122.png

2) With Reference to reference manual IMXRT1024RM chapter9 & 22, the Boot setting BOOT_CFG1[7:4]=[0000]b refers to  Serial NOR boot via FlexSPI. We assume this is nothing but the on-chip SIP 4M Flash Memory. Please Conform our understanding.

sowmiya_a_1-1672028784164.png

sowmiya_a_2-1672028784192.png

3) Our assumption of above points are with reference to the NXP forum links reply’s  listed below.

“ https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/Is-there-iMX-RT1024-feature-to-be-used-in-place-of-EEPROM/m-p/1...

“ https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT-Knowledge-Base/How-to-use-the-RT1064-on-chip-flash-as-NVM/ta-p/...

4) Is there any possibility of booting from external flash chips connected on FLEXSPI A  controller and FLEXSPI B controller ? If yes please let us know how to do the configuration in software/ hardware?

5) Can you help us with the related documentation on using on-chip SIP 4MB Winbond W25Q32JV for boot settings and related information.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello
Hope you are well, I will gladly answer your questions:

1) You're correct.

2)Yes, setting this field to 0s will configure the chip to boot from the on-chip Flash.

3) You might also refer to this application note which contains answers to questions 1 and 4: Migration Guide from i.MX RT1020 to i.MX RT1024 (nxp.com)

4) Unfortunately, this is not possible. You are able to use FlexSPI flash to store data but you cannot use the other flexspi instance to boot. You are able to boot from FlexSPI only on-chip flash.

5) It is important to have the proper boot_cfg to use the internal flash, you might want to refer to the EVK schematic:

Omar_Anguiano_0-1672680970624.png

Note that pull-up resistors are not populated the pin state is 0 on those.

You can use MCUBootUtility or Secure Provisioning Tool so you can load an image to your device with the proper image configuration.
GitHub - JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility: A one-stop boot utility tool based on Python2.7+wxPython4.0, it...

Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos