Use boot0 and boot1 for primary and secondary bootloader

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use boot0 and boot1 for primary and secondary bootloader

praveen_bharath
Contributor II

On IMX7, that has an eMMC with 2 boot blocks/physical partitions, boot0 and boot1, would it be possible to use one or the other as a redundant bootloader?

I would like to flash primary bootloader on boot0 and secondary bootloader on boot1. Both images are signed and verified by HAB. Verified as in I signed/flashed either images individually and made sure the board boots with either image.

For my use case I would like that if the primary bootloader gets corrupted, the ROM/HAB should validate the secondary bootloader and boot from there. Is this possible?

I have read about the primary and secondary bootloader being flashed on the same boot partition with secondary image table but I really dont want the two bootloader images to reside on the same block. I would like to have it working the way I described above. Please let me know if that is do able?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The boot scenario to use the eMMC second boot partition  is not supported by i.MX boot ROM,

at least, directly. Nevertheless, customers can apply the approach, described in section 6.6.5.3.5

(Redundant boot support for expansion device) of the i.MX7D RM, assuming that the secondary 

bootloader, run by the boot ROM, can program properly BOOT_PARTITION_ENABLE field in the

Ext_CSD[179] and try to reboot the system. Note, "the boot partition can be selected for an MMC4.x

card after the card initialization is complete. The ROM code reads the BOOT_PARTITION_ENABLE

field in the Ext_CSD[179] to get the boot partition to be set."

Have a great day,

Yuri

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored

Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos