Upload Linux into SOM without Base Board and Test DDR memory!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Linux into SOM without Base Board and Test DDR memory!

Jump to solution
calibronic
Contributor III

I am going to design a SOM based on i.MX8M mini SOM reference design(attached picture) ,so I have 3 questions:

1.Would it be possible to upload Linux into SOM module without a Base board?

2.What are the pins of module that allow me to upload Linux without a Base board?

3.would it be possible to test DDR memory without a Base Board? if so, How would it be possible?

1 Solution
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello  Saeid Fallah,

My recommendation would be mimicking the Base board as in regards of the power supply, debugging and download USB port so that you can use the UUU to download the image to your SOM and use the DDR Stress Tool. I haven’t seen it implemented but it should be doable.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 Replies
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello  Saeid Fallah,

It’s possible, but you would still need to connect the SOM or CPU board so that you can provide power and the requires connections to load the NAND memory, for example. More importantly, you would still need a base board to provide the boot switch, power and other connections, as the CPU board is not designed for standalone boot.

Please refer to the CPU boards schematics available online for more details on what signals are provided by the base board. These are available under design resources on the following link:

https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/i-mx-evaluation-and-development-boards/evaluation-kit-...

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

0 Kudos
calibronic
Contributor III

Thank  you so much for your replay.

I am going to place boot dip switch to SOM and also I am going to consider a place to apply power supply to SOM,

1. How can I upload Linux in this case? Do I have to connect external USB cable to CPU USB port  and use a specific software?

2. Can I do DDR4 calibration test in this condition ? 

0 Kudos
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello  Saeid Fallah,

My recommendation would be mimicking the Base board as in regards of the power supply, debugging and download USB port so that you can use the UUU to download the image to your SOM and use the DDR Stress Tool. I haven’t seen it implemented but it should be doable.

I hope this helps!

Regards,