Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Device and Host port issues on boot

tylerbrandon
Contributor I

Linux kernel: 2.6.35

Build system: Timesys Factory

Processor: Freescale i.MX53

Build target: custom board (based on i.MX53 Quick Start Board)

Three USB “ports”: Host1, Host3 and Device.  Host3 and Device ports are exposed externally.

• A custom Kernel configuration was created to enable the operation of USB Host3 port.
  • A composite CDC USB device (serial + Ethernet + mass-storage) driver is attached to the Device port (note: this driver is compiled into the kernel and is not a kernel module).

Issues description:

1. When the USB device port is plugged into a PC during boot, the host PC system port sometimes fails to enumerate the Device.  On some PC host systems this happens fairly consistently.  On other systems, this is a rare occurrence (i.e. 1 time in 20 or more attempts).  Re-plugging the cable into USB Device port does not result in the port working.
  2. When certain USB mass-storage devices are plugged into the USB Host3 port on boot, the port will stop working, such that “dmesg” reports nothing when the device is unplugged and re-plugged.

We are looking for solutions or a work-around to these issues.  While rebooting the system without the Host and Device ports plugged in, works around the issue; rebooting is not a viable workaround for us.

Thanks.

Tyler

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Tyler

This discussion is closed since no activity. If you still need help, please feel free to reply with an update to this discussion, or create another discussion.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Tyler

We have not got your response yet and will close the discussion in 3 days. If you still need help, please feel free to reply with an update to this discussion.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Tyler

We are sorry for getting back to you so late. Are you still stuck with the issue? If you have somehow to resolved the

issue, can we close the discussion? If you still need help, please feel free to reply with an update to this discussion.

Thanks,
Yixing

0 Kudos