Status of the new u-Boot DM integration into NXP IMX reference designs?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status of the new u-Boot DM integration into NXP IMX reference designs?

djregan
Contributor III

Hello everyone,

Referring to the new u-boot driver model, that Simon Glass discusses here...

Order at Last: The New U-Boot Driver Model Architecture - Simon Glass - YouTube 

What is the intended state of the current NXP EVK reference designs with respect to this new u-Boot DM? Are there EVK reference designs already intending to use this new DM approach?

Thoughts?

Thanks much in advance,

--DJ Regan

Tags (2)
5 Replies

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi DJ Regan,

U-Boot driver model is being used on i.MX boards as well.

Take a look at git.denx.de Git - u-boot.git/blob - configs/mx6ull_14x14_evk_defconfig 

and search for the CONFIG_DM_ options to have an idea of what drivers have been converted to the driver model.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

djregan
Contributor III

Fabio/Igor...

Thank you both very much for the advice.  My concern comes in part from watching this presentation...

Porting U-Boot and Linux on New ARM Boards: A Step-by-Step Guide - Quentin Schulz, Free Electrons - ... 

...from Free Electrons' October 2017 presentation from Quentin Schulz. Specifically, 24 minutes into Quentin's presentation,.. see this slide...

How-to-support new boards in u-boot and linux - note on device trees in uboot.png 

...but, I too saw the CONFIG_DM_options that Fabio mentioned. So, definitely some conflicting info here. Perhaps Quentin's information is out-of-date? With each of the CONFIG_DM_options -> it sure looks like intent is support should be there on a per-driver basis to enable DM support. Right? :smileyhappy:

Thoughts?

Thanks much in advance,

--DJ Regan

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi DJ Regan,

The specific slide you shared is about Device Tree, not Driver Model.

I was not able to identify an inconsistency.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

djregan
Contributor III

Hi Fabio...  Right... All of this understanding is per Simon Glass's presentation that I mentioned in my original post for this discussion thread.

The new uBoot Driver Model attempts to configure hardware per the device tree, in the similar way that the linux kernel attempts to configure hardware per the device tree.

So... again... my concern was Quentin's statement "you cant really chose on a per driver basis to enable DM support". In looking at the intent for the defines with prefix CONFIG_DM_option, the intent appears to be going against the statement in bold.

I will experiment.... and see what can be driven by the device tree, and what appears not to be drive-able from the device tree. 

Appreciate it Fabio!

--DJ Regan

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Regan

nxp uboot is based on uboot releases developed by denx so it

conforms all models developed by its vendor. Short description and

used uboot versions can be found in linux documentation on

https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/run-time-software/i.mx-developer-resources/i.mx-6ser...

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------