cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Boot

AlfTeleco
Contributor III

Hi everyone, 

We are trying to implement a Secure boot on the NXP iMX8MP using a TPM ( SLB 9670VQ2.0).

I know that iMX8MP allows a secure boot using its HAB hw modules and also have explored that option but apart from that, we want to be able to verify a kernel before loading it. 

So, currently I've got an u-boot with TPM commands enabled, these are the commands it offers: 

• STARTUP
  • SELF TEST
  • CLEAR
  • PCR EXTEND
  • PCR READ
  • GET CAPABILITY
  • DICTIONARY ATTACK LOCK RESET
  • DICTIONARY ATTACK CHANGE PARAMETERS
  • HIERARCHY CHANGE AUTH

As far as I understand, to verify the kernel I need to decrypt a hash of the kernel that was previously encrypted with a private key. 

When using a TPM I know how to create keys and use them to sign the kernel from linux. 

But, as long as the keys cannot leave the TPM I'm wondering how could the uboot verify the signed kernel. The first option that comes to my mind is that u-boot should ask the TPM to decrypt the hash of the kernel with its internal private key but from uboot and I don't have any commands to do that. 
The second option would be to ask the TPM for the private key, and this can't be done as the security of the TPM ( and the whole system ) would be compromised. 

How can this step ( kernel verification ) of the secure boot be done? maybe by means of a measured boot ( PCRs)?

Thanks in advance, any idea will be much appreciated

3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alvaro

one can look at AN12812  Using Code-Signing Tool with Hardware Security Module

Best regards
igor

kanimozhi_t
Contributor V

@igorpadykov the CST would run on the PC, right? But we're interested in interfacing the TPM with the target hardware (i.MX processor). How that can be done?

@AlfTeleco Any updates on this one?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kanimozhi

for such case, as it is not supported in official BSPs may be recommended to proceed with

help of NXP Professional Services:
https://contact.nxp.com/new-prof-svcs-sw-tech

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos