Returning an IMX8X to NXP for debug, and the effects of Partial Field Return Lifecycle State

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning an IMX8X to NXP for debug, and the effects of Partial Field Return Lifecycle State

wdcrith
Contributor II

Hello NXP,

Two questions for you.

First, if I ever need to return an IMX8X processor to NXP for debugging, what interfaces (JTAG, SDP, etc) need to be available on my board (if any)?

And a second related question, I know that there is a lifecycle state for "Partial Field Return" though the details are pretty sparse for what this lifecycle actually does. What interfaces will be enabled by moving the IMX8X device to the Partial (OEM) Field Return state?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

hector_delgado
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @wdcrith ,

I hope you're doing well! 

Let me double check with our team about interfaces for debugging boards.

Regarding Lifecycle States, there's Section 2.1.4.1.1 Chip Life Cycle in the Security Reference Manual (https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/mod_download.jsp?colCode=IMX8QXPSRM&appType=moderatedWithout...).

Thank you.

Best regards,
Hector.

0 Kudos

hector_delgado
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @wdcrith ,

For debugging boards we recommend having USB, JTAG and UART available. 

Best regards,
Hector.

0 Kudos

wdcrith
Contributor II

Thanks for the replies Hector,

Based on the SRM, I'm assuming the Partial Field Return lifecycle state will only affect the enforcement of the AHAB, and opening up the JTAG for debug.

On my device I disable SDP (Serial Download Protocol over USB) at the same time as closing the AHAB. Does Partial Field Return override or re-enable SDP?

And for the peripherals for debugging, I believe I could expose JTAG and UART for NXP to use. USB may be unavailable (depending if SDP gets re-enabled). Is JTAG + UART enough for NXP to do their debugging activities?

0 Kudos

hector_delgado
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @wdcrith ,

I hope you're doing great!

It is highly recommended to have all three ports available for debugging, not having one and sending it over would be by your own risk. 

I don't believe partial field return state enables SDP back since they are different fuses. 

Best regards,
Hector.

0 Kudos