cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on iMX7 Sabre Examples

zhiqunhu
Contributor III

Hello,

I am working on ARM DS and iMX7D Sabre. I am running a example project blink_imx_demo_gpt+val_m4, I can tell from terminal screen that the project is running but I cannot see any LED blinking in the Sabre board, I cannot tell which key is VOLUME UP key in the DEMO board either. I am wondering if there is an explanation on it. 

Also, the example projects have SDB and VAL selection, I guess VAL is for evaluation board, like Sabre, like to know SDB is for which board.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

zhiqunhu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Thanks for reply.

The link you attached cannot be opened.

With the Linux image came with the Sabre, and without changing anything in code, and loading the blinking LED project into the Sabre with ARM DS+ULINKpro, should we observer some LED(s) on board blinking?  Also, is there any documentation specifies which LED(s) blinking?

I have some other HW related projects, such as flexcan_loopback and sensor_demo, I have tried them by loading into Sabre with ARM DS+ULINKpro, they seem work as expected.

Regarding the peripherals assignments in iMX7D between A7 and M4, is that done in a device tree .dbt, or they are programmable after system boots up either by A7 or M4? And who is master to determine which peripheral is assigned to who?

Thanks,

Zhiqun 

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Zhiqun 

regarding the peripherals assignments in iMX7D between A7 and M4 one can check

sect.6.1.6 RDC settings attached Release Notes.

Not all M4 RTOS projects can work with linux, for such examples please refer to sect.51.5 Running

i.MX RPMsg Test Programs attached Linux Manual. For other projects one will have to make modifications

using RPMsg Test Programs as example.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

zhiqunhu
Contributor III

I am wondering the result I have observed on the peripheral related example projects (not running properly) may be related to the device tree or HW resource configuration, .dbt file.

My guess is if the HW resources are not configured properly, the LED blinking cannot be controlled by M4. But I am wondering for iMX7D BSP of M4, should the device tree be defined to have M4 access to all of the peripherals in the BSP? Or, if there is existing .dbt file that can be used for M4 to access all peripherals?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

you are right, BSP configures peripherals which can be used by M4, this is configured by

RDC module described in sect.3.2 Resource Domain Controller (RDC) i.MX7D Reference Manual and

listed in sect.2 What Is New attached Release Notes. I think there is no some config file that can be used

for M4 to access all peripherals, so modifications in code should be needed.

May be useful to check linux documentation on

i.MX Software|NXP 

Regarding "not running properly" example projects one can recheck sect.4 Supported Development Systems Release Notes:

NOTE
The release can work with the Linux® L4.1.15_1.2.0 GA release. It is not recommended to integrate it with other Linux BSP versions.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

zhiqunhu
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I am able to build and run project blink_imx_demo_gpt_sdb_m4, But I cannot see any LED blinking except the UART TX LED in Sabre since the terminal is updating, please see the attachment.2019-01-16 17_41_04-Development Studio Workspace - Development Studio - blinking_imx_demo_gpt_imx7d_.png

For my evaluation, I like to have many example projects especially these HW related projects working out, please let me know what is missing.

Thanks,

Zhiqun

0 Kudos

zhiqunhu
Contributor III

Hi Igor, 

Can you verify that imx7d_sdb_m4 is for iMX7D Sabre board, while imx7_val_m4 is for iMX7 Validation board?

If user has iMX7D Sabre board, it is needed to use the examples in fold of imx7d_sdb_m4.

I think that may be the issue I have here since I have Sabre but was using the examples in imx7_val_m4, that will not be the issue to run the project that does not deal with HW, such as "hello world" and son on.

Thanks,

Zhiqun

0 Kudos

zhiqunhu
Contributor III

After reading through FreeRTOS_BSP_for_i.MX_7Dual_Demo_User’s_Guide.pdf, the answer to my last question is YES.

If you have a Sabre, you need to run the example projects in imx7d_sdb_m4 folder.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Zhiqun

example description and supported boards can be found in

Chapter 2 LED Blinking Demo attached FreeRTOS_BSP_for_i.MX_7Dual_Demo_User’s_Guide.pdf

from software package:

Windows Installer: i.MX 7Dual/Solo FreeRTOS BSP for Cortex-M4

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos