Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming using MFG Tool without changing the fuses

Jump to solution
hemanthkumarcha
Contributor II

Dear Freescale community,

we are customizing the i.MX233 EVK . As we are  using the NOR Flash in SPI Flash 2 Master mode for Booting customized board. Here is the challenge comes i want to Program the NOR Flash on customized Board.

For that i want to use MFG Tool(Manufacturing tool ) Provided By the Freescale.  We are  changing the xml files. But as Default if anyone want to use the MFG Tool  for Programming the  Board. Mode has to change to USB mode from Default Mode(Eg:SPI Flash 2  Master mode). 

Is there any Software provision in Kernel or MFG Tool. That i can Easily Program my Customized Boards without any Change of Boot Modes. or Suggest any Other Tools exits Supporting  i.MX233 Programming.

Regards

Hemanth

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hemanth

for using MFG Tool one needs to set necessary on board boot mode

also sect.35.9.4 USB Recovery Mode i.MX23 RM states:

USB boot mode is provided as a fail-safe mechanism for writing system firmware to the boot media. The

boot mode is not usually entered by the normal methods of setting the boot pins or OTP: the other methods

of entering USB boot mode are referred to generally as recovery mode.

An end user can manually start recovery mode by holding the recovery switch for several seconds while

plugging in USB. Holding the recovery switch is defined as reading the i.MX23 PSWITCH input as a

0x3. There are several switch circuits that will produce this input. The loader also automatically starts

recovery mode if a non-recoverable error is detected from any boot mode other than USB.

If the DISABLE_RECOVERY_MODE OTP bit is blown, then USB boot mode is disabled completely.

Attempts to enter USB boot mode via boot pins, OTP, or recovery methods will result in a chip

power-down.

~igor

View solution in original post

10 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hemanth

MFG Tool is running small linux image and performs

linux commands from ucl.xml file. You can look at ucl.xml file

and try to execute the same commands from Linux.

For i.MX23 programming freescale provides only MFG Tool,

tools can be found on link below.

i.MX23 Evaluation Kit|Freescale

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
hemanthkumarcha
Contributor II

Dear igor,

Thanks for replay

Ya i am changing the xml file according to my requirement but only major Problem is with Changing the Boot Modes during the Flashing(Rewriting) My Customized board.So please Let Me know Any provision in MFG Tool that i can Program my Board without Changing the Boot Modes in i.MX23. Because MFG Tools Works(Writes/Flashes) in USB Mode But i am Operating On SPI Flash 2  Master mode.

Regards

Hemanth

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hemanth

you can run comnands in your Linux without Changing the Boot Modes in i.MX23

inux commands from ucl.xml file are the same:

<CMD type="push" body="$ flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0">Erasing boot partition</CMD>

in Linux will be: flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0

~igor

0 Kudos
hemanthkumarcha
Contributor II

Dear igor,

i can not run ucl.xml file contains. until and unless MFG Tool has to detect Flash Device. it will detected in USB mode only. so i have to change the boot Modes.

Regards

Hemanth

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hemanth

you should not run ucl.xml file, you should run linux commands,

example for spi-nor (attached) for i.MX28 can be found below

How to enable SPI NOR boot for i.MX28 (Spansion s25fl256s)

For example for "SPI-NOR (uboot.sb)" linux commands would be:

<CMD type="push" body="mknod class/mtd,mtd0,/dev/mtd0"/>  --> mknod class/mtd,mtd0,/dev/mtd0

<CMD type="push" body="$ flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0">Erasing boot partition</CMD> -->flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0

e.t.c.

~igor

0 Kudos
hemanthkumarcha
Contributor II

Dear igor,

Thanks for Replay

Please check Manufacturing Tool UCL user manual.

commands will run after the Board has to detect and  updater.sb  will copy into the RAM of it any it will execute the commands given in ucl.xml file

Regards

Hemanth

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hemanth

MFG Tool is running small linux image and performs

linux commands from ucl.xml file. You can look at ucl.xml file

and try to execute the same commands from Linux.

~igor

0 Kudos
hemanthkumarcha
Contributor II

Dear igor,

Thanks for reply,

Ya.,i can. But i don't want to make this complex. I want  to be implemented with MFG Tool. so i will give this  Software(MFG Tool ) in factory level Engineer ask them to run this simple tool to update the Flash(Rewriting). i don't want to use manual procedure(like going to Linux and applying manual command one by one).

Regards

Hemanth

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hemanth

for using MFG Tool one needs to set necessary on board boot mode

also sect.35.9.4 USB Recovery Mode i.MX23 RM states:

USB boot mode is provided as a fail-safe mechanism for writing system firmware to the boot media. The

boot mode is not usually entered by the normal methods of setting the boot pins or OTP: the other methods

of entering USB boot mode are referred to generally as recovery mode.

An end user can manually start recovery mode by holding the recovery switch for several seconds while

plugging in USB. Holding the recovery switch is defined as reading the i.MX23 PSWITCH input as a

0x3. There are several switch circuits that will produce this input. The loader also automatically starts

recovery mode if a non-recoverable error is detected from any boot mode other than USB.

If the DISABLE_RECOVERY_MODE OTP bit is blown, then USB boot mode is disabled completely.

Attempts to enter USB boot mode via boot pins, OTP, or recovery methods will result in a chip

power-down.

~igor

hemanthkumarcha
Contributor II

Dear igor,

Thanks for reply,

i will try to Generate 0x3 from Switch Provision in My Customized Board. :smileyhappy:

i will try to modify the pswitch functionality in Kernel for Generating 0x3(As My Customized Board consist of only Pswitch button :smileyhappy:).

Thanks and Regards

Hemanth

0 Kudos