cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenVX's Vision functions in i.MX 8MP

hiep_nguyen
Contributor III

Hi Supporters,

I'm using i.MX 8MP with Yocto version imx-yocto-bsp-5_10_52-2_1_0, which contains tim-vx_1.1.32 inside.

When apply OpenVX Vision functions for feature tracking, which are : vxGaussianPyramidNode, vxHarrisCornersNode, vxFastCornersNode and vxOpticalFlowPyrLKNode, I found that the computation time of these functions are huge.

Below is computation time of these functions, both on i.MX 8MP EVK and laptop with Nvidia 1050Ti. The input is same for both, a grayscale image with 752x480 resolution (Euroc dataset).

Testing on i.MX 8MP EVK

vxGaussianPyramidNode : 18.4291 ms
vxHarrisCornersNode : 712.998 ms
vxFastCornersNode : 27.8731 ms
vxOpticalFlowPyrLKNode : 3.22289 ms

Testing on laptop with Nvidia 1050Ti (VisionWorks)

vxGaussianPyramidNode : 0.219178 ms
vxHarrisCornersNode : 0.178945 ms
vxFastCornersNode : 0.184957 ms
vxOpticalFlowPyrLKNode : 0.195883 ms

As you can see, compare to Nvidia 1050 Ti, the computation time on i.MX 8MP EVK are 100-150 time slower ?

I used TfLite-vx-delegate to inference DL models, and it's very good at speed, say just 2 times slower than 1050 Ti. But with traditional vision functions, it's huge difference, 100-150 times slower.

Could you give me some advice to speed up those OpenVX Vision functions ? I really appreciate that.

Many thanks in advance !.

Best regards,
Hiep

0 Kudos
2 Replies

hiep_nguyen
Contributor III

Hi @Zhiming_Liu ,

Thank you for your response. So to decrease computation time, the only solution that we have is : use EVIS to implement needed algorithms ?

Because the EVIS is quite complicated, do we have any other solution ? Let's say the ready made implemented by NXP ?

Do NXP have plan to release a BSP which include OpenVX Vision functions with NPU accelerated ?

Thank you in advance !.

Regards,
Hiep

0 Kudos

Zhiming_Liu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @hiep_nguyen 

You can see this article:https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/OpenVX-Vision-Image-Extension-API-Introd...

This may help me decrease computation time

Regards

Zhiming

0 Kudos