MfgTool in virtual Windows fails

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MfgTool in virtual Windows fails

kubiznak_petr
Contributor V

Having virtual Windows 7 Pro in VirtualBox (Fedora Linux host), Updater of mfgtool2 fails (log attached). Both USB devices are attached to the guest OS - Freescale Inc SE VYBRID (15A2:006A) and Freescale USB Download Gadget (066F:37FF) are permanently enabled in the USB filter.

At the time of failure, the GUI shows F: drive and Wait for Recovery from: "Push" error, file="C:\Freescale\Mfgtools-Rel-1.0_VYBRID_UPDATER\Profiles\Vybrid Update\OS Firmware\files\u-boot.vybrid" status message. The new F: drive is visible in TotalCommander, but fails to open.

The problem is most likely related to VirtualBox, as it works for me under normal Windows (XP) installation. My hypothesis is that the problem is in attaching of the mass storage device from Linux to the guest OS (but I might be wrong). I did not find any solution yet. Does anybody have experience with MfgTool under virtualized Windows?

Original Attachment has been moved to: MfgTool.log.zip

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The most likely cause of the issue is the time delay in recognizing and attaching a mass storage device (F: drive) to the guest OS when the target board switches from the USB HID mode to the USB Mass Storage mode. Try to constantly map this F: drive to the guest OS.

Have a great day,
Artur

0 Kudos

kubiznak_petr
Contributor V

Hi Artur,

Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought, too, but I did not find a way how to constantly map the drive. Hence I cannot confirm correctness of your answer. Any specific suggestions are welcome, even though I know I should rather direct it to some VirtualBox forum.

Petr

0 Kudos

bartcerneels
Contributor I

Hey kubiznak.petr

You can configure USB filters to automatically connect the USB devices to the windows VM as you can see in this screenshot.virtualbox_usb_filters.png

This way the manufacturing tool works from a VM, but it is much slower then a native windows. It takes multiple minutes to upload the u-boot and initramfs. Do you have this experience as well?

0 Kudos

kubiznak_petr
Contributor V

Hey Bart,

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of this configuration screen. The problem is in recognizing the mass storage after switch from HID device. Are you saying it works correctly (just slow) in your case? What host and guest operating systems do you use?

0 Kudos

bartcerneels
Contributor I

Host: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

Guest: Windows 7

With ubuntu as host, USB devices will only work if your in the vboxusers group. You can easily add yourself with following command:

$ sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER

Without this none of the USB filters will work, since virtualbox can not enumerate USB devices.

Indeed, the initial transfer when the device is in HID mode is slow. It takes 1-2 minutes to upload u-boot, kernel, device tree and initial ramfs. This only takes seconds on a native windows. I believe it's a virtualbox bug. Annoying, but not blocking.

The second line in the filter screenshot is for the device in USB mass storage mode, after the uploaded kernel has booted. I used the "Add new USB filter.." button to get this. Here is a screenshot of my settings.

USB-mass storage filter settings.png

kubiznak_petr
Contributor V

I retried once more, but I got just BSOD which even caused kernel panic of my host system. Since I have one desktop with native Windows in my office, I will not further experiment with the virtual machine.

Thanks for your help anyway.

0 Kudos