cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC34709 Li Cell Charger

MarkRoy
Contributor III

Hello,

I am using the MC34709 in a design.   We are using a 3.0V rechargeable lithium cell to backup the RTC on the MC34709.    I was wondering if there were any parameters or ratings on the charger circuit since it seems to be poorly documented in the datasheet.  The datasheet only lists the parameters of Table 19.   All of the values in this table are only "Typical" values and there are no minimums or maximums listed.    For example for safety reasons I would like to know what the maximum charge current is.    Also, is there any kind of reverse charge protection built in to the charger?

If a user accidentally installs the battery in reverse, what will happen?  Will this damage the MC34709?  Will it attempt to reverse charge the cell causing leakage or worse damage to the cell?

If there are no protections for reverse polarity then I may need to use a permanent battery instead to remove the possibility of user error.

Regards,

Mark Roy

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark

Table 19 is only available official data.

Regarding "If a user accidentally installs the battery in reverse", battery will

be shorted to internal ESD diode (max. allowable current about 2mA).

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

MarkRoy
Contributor III

Thanks Chip,

So are you saying then that the ESD diode would be able to handle a reverse battery? 

Or would this kill the ESD diode?

If I put a low voltage schottky diode from LICELL (pin M2) to the cell, would this fix the problem of reverse charging or would the charger then have problems correctly sensing the voltage?

Regards,

Mark Roy

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark

yes installing diode will definitely

fix the problem of reverse battery connection.

Best regards

chip

0 Kudos