Linux or Android for SABRE for eReader?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux or Android for SABRE for eReader?

JJHawg
Contributor I

I have 20 years of "normal" embedded programming under by belt, but this new OS world is kicking my butt. I have many questions to get going with the SABRE for eReader, but will limit this post to a single, important question:

Does anyone have compelling reasons to use either Linux or Android on the i.MX50 / SABRE eReader device?

I have equal (limited) experience with each of these, so now is the time for me to choose. I suppose one aspect is C versus Java, but there may be other issues, like what the future holds for each of these platforms...

Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

imxcommunitysco
Senior Contributor II

From JackyAtFreescale: Do you think your eReader product needs to run Android apps?

0 Kudos

JJHawg
Contributor I

Thanks for the note.

No, I won't need to run any Android apps, I was wondering if it would be a better dev environment.

Since the original post I have pretty much committed to Linux, mostly because I know C better than Jave, and have a little experience with it, whereas I don't know much about Android...

0 Kudos

JackyAtFreescal
Senior Contributor II

There is no compelling reason to use Android or Linux to build imx50 EReader. Just start with your most familiar platform.

0 Kudos