Linux kernel built image 3.14.52_1.1.0_ga not booting on the i.Mx6 SoloX Sabre board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux kernel built image 3.14.52_1.1.0_ga not booting on the i.Mx6 SoloX Sabre board

Jump to solution
kambizdonna
Contributor I

Hi, This is my very first post in here, as our company is trying to develop an Arm7 Cortex-9 solution for an embedded system that we are doing.

We are using the i.Mx 6soloX Sabre board supplied by NXP, to test our developed Kernel and SW.

So, Here is our issue. First of all we need to be able to customize our kernel and be able to add and change some of the drivers, So, we can not

use the Kernel that is packaged with the BSP. Yet we need to make sure that we can build the same kernel as a starting point. In order to do this,

I have been following the instructions that has been published by Freescale/NXP in Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf to build a kernel

image.

Now, I have been successful in building the imx-3.10.53-1.1.0_ga  by doing the following commands:

(I am building this on an Ubuntu 14.04.3 system with all the necessary package installed as outlined in the above mentioned document Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf )

repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-3.10.53-1.1.0_ga

repo sync

MACHINE=imx6solosabresd source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-3.10.53-1.1.0_ga-imx6bolosabresd

bitbake core-image-minimal

and then copying the created zImage to my tftpboot directory:

cp tmp/deploy/images/imx6solosabresd/zImage /tftpboot/zImage

and then booting the i.Mx 6 Sabre board to the zImage. This locally built kernel will boot up fine on our Sabre board. 

THE PROBLEM THAT I HAVE IS, that if I try to build the imx-3.14.52_1.1.0_ga Kernel using the same steps,

The kernel does not boot and I just get the prompt that says: 

Starting Kernel ...

and nothing happens afterward ( system does not boot).

So, I am basically wondering if anything needs to be done differently to build the imx-3.14.52_1.1.0_ga kernel than imx-3.10.53_1.1.0_ga

Also, this is how I am booting up my board with the kernel image that is being build locally:

- Boot the board up with the SD card and stop uboot from autobooting

- load the linux kernel from tftp server:

run boottftp

- load the device tree from the SD card:

run loadfdt

- load the MMC arguments:

run mmcargs

-boot to the loaded images

bootz 0x80800000 - 0x83000000

So, I am using the default uboot and the Device tree file that is on the supplied NXP SD card. Just changing the linux kernel to come from the TFTP server.

Thanks for reading and I would appriciate any help or suggestions that you might have.

Also, please let me know if you need any more details on any of the procedures above.

K

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi kambiz

imx-3.14.52_1.1.0_ga uses different uboot version v2015.04,

while imx-3.10.53_1.1.0_ga  version 2014.04. It is available in

BSP package:

Board Support Packages (32)

L3.14.52_1.1.0_iMX6SX (REV L3.14.52_1.1.0)

i.MX 6SoloX Linux Binary Demo Files

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi kambiz

imx-3.14.52_1.1.0_ga uses different uboot version v2015.04,

while imx-3.10.53_1.1.0_ga  version 2014.04. It is available in

BSP package:

Board Support Packages (32)

L3.14.52_1.1.0_iMX6SX (REV L3.14.52_1.1.0)

i.MX 6SoloX Linux Binary Demo Files

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

Best regards

igor

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
kambizdonna
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your help. You nailed the issue. The problem was that the uboot did not match the kernel that I was booting to.

So, just copied the entire .sdcard image to the SD and it worked fine.

Thanks again for your help,

Kambiz.

0 Kudos