JPEG encode/decode using Coda960 driver?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JPEG encode/decode using Coda960 driver?

jonathanolson
Contributor II

The CODA driver in the latest mainline kernel supports JPEG encoding/decoding for coda7 (imx5x) platforms, but does not support JPEG for coda960 (imx6) platforms.

The coda_regs.h header file does not even define the coda960 MJPEG registers starting at 0x3000.  Is there any support planned for the coda960 JPEG unit in the coda driver?  It appears that supporting JPEG on the imx6 should a straightforward port of code in the imx-vpu library.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jonathan,

The gstreamer support JPEG with gstreamer1.0-plugins-base jpeg. the i.MX6Q does not have support for coda960 with imx.vpu library.

Regards

0 Kudos

jonathanolson
Contributor II

The imx-vpu library https://www.nxp.com/lgfiles/NMG/MAD/YOCTO/imx-vpu-5.4.33.bin DOES support JPEG encode/decode on the i.MX6Q.  I've been successfully using this library for over a year with a 3.14 kernel.  There were gstreamer modules which also depended on this library,  however they cannot work on later 4.x kernels.

Unfortunately, the /dev/mxc_vpu device is deprecated in 4.x kernels and replaced with the new coda V4L2 driver.  Although the new coda driver supports H.264 encode/decode, it does not support JPEG on the i.MX6Q.  Since the imx-vpu library contains source code to manage the Coda960 jpeg hardware, I wondered if anyone has looked into porting this support into the coda driver.