Is the i.MX6ULL drop-in compatible with the i.MX6UL?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the i.MX6ULL drop-in compatible with the i.MX6UL?

jay_d_carlson
Contributor II

I looked through the datasheet of the i.MX6ULL, and at least the 14x14 package seems to have the same pinning as the i.MX6UL. Are these drop-in compatible? Oddly, I didn't see any documentation that explicitly mentioned this (strange, as this is really a nice feature to have — and the other i.MX6s brag about it :-) ).

I've been getting a custom i.MX6UL board up and running, and since I'm about to order a new revision, I'm wondering what changes I need to make if I want to switch over to the 900 MHz i.MX6ULL? I'm looking at the MCIMX6Y2DVM09AA, which is only $1 more than the 535 MHz MCIMX6Y0CVM05AA I'm using right now.

The big difference I see is the minimum VDD_SOC_IN voltage. Since power consumption isn't critical for my application, I'm currently using a discrete DC/DC converter to generate a 1.35V rail that's shared by VDD_SOC_IN and my DDR3L memory (I really appreciate the built-in LDOs on the i.MX6 — thanks for that!)

However, the ULL needs a minimum of 1.375V. If I bump my regulator from 1.35 to 1.4V, that should provide enough margin, while still operating my DDR3L within bounds. Cool?

Looking at the errata, it doesn't look like the ULL has the crystal oscillator bug that the UL has. Is this correct?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

abdullahkahrama
Contributor IV

Hello Jay,

I am thinking of using 1.4V for both DDR3L and VDD_SOC_IN for iMX6ULL 900 MHz..

How did your board turn out? Did you bump into any issues?

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Basically i.MX6ULL is pin-to-pin compatible with i.MX6UL. Your may look

at i.MX 6ULL Migration Guide for more details about i.MX6ULL and i.MX6UL

differences.

As for 1.375V (1.4V) for DDR3L device - it makes sense to consult with DRAM

manufacturer.

Correct, i.MX6ULL does not have ERR009455 (Clock: 24 MHz Oscillator does

not start up), that was detected for i.MX6UL of revision 1.0.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN5350.pdf 

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos