Interface external ethernet switch to IMX6Q using RGMII interface ??

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface external ethernet switch to IMX6Q using RGMII interface ??

deepakkumarvija
Contributor I

Hi,

We want to interface an interface external ethernet switch to IMX6Q using RGMII interface . I have gone through forums here for clocking requirements . But I wanted to know is  since there is only a single interface to the processor from external switch , the data rate is limited to speed of the interface with the processor .

For eg: Even if there are 3 ports in the switch in rgmii mode , the maximum data rate for the traffic concerning the host processor is always 1 gbps and not 3 gbps . Please let me know if my understanding is correct ??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Deepak

for understanding switch operation please refer to

Network switch - Wikipedia 

How Does a Network Switch Work? - Cisco 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

deepakkumarvija
Contributor I

Hi Igorpadykov,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the switch operation. But we are interfacing a switch because we want more interfaces. But at the same time, I just want to confirm the data rate limit concerned with traffic related to the host processor will be always 1 gbps with rgmii interface.For eg: audio data over network. This data is required in host processor for processing. In this case there is only one interface to the processor and the data rate is equal to the speed of the interface(rgmii)? 

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

according to description on these links

"switch is a device in a computer network that electrically and logically connects

together other devices".

So i.MX6 RGMII performance does not affect switch.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos