cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8MP-EVK USB device superspeed

maffan
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm trying to setup the USB-C port (PORT1) on my IMX8MP-EVK as a USB device, but when I connect it to my PC it only appears as a high-speed device, not superspeed. I have verified that the cable I use and the PC side socket supports superspeed by connecting other USB devices to it.

I've read here that the orientation switch prevents superspeed from working on the EVK. Is this still true? Or is it some other device tree or kernel change I need to do in order to make my EVK work as a superspeed device?

Kind regards
Marcus

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

maffan
Contributor I

Hello Joseph, and thank you for your reply.

According to the schematics for IMX8MP-EVK, PORT1 is indeed capable of supporting superspeed USB. Additionally, when I configure the EVK to operate as a fastboot device from u-boot, PORT1 is recognized as a superspeed interface by the connected PC. This leads me to believe that the hardware setup should support superspeed under normal conditions.

Could this be an issue related to the device tree or kernel configuration that is preventing the port from operating at superspeed from Linux? Any guidance on modifications that might enable superspeed functionality would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Marcus

0 Kudos

JosephAtNXP
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

What BSP are you using? Seems like it's integrated in latest BSP that patch.

According to reference manual

For i.MX 8 and i.MX 8X families, a super-speed USB IP from Cadence, and for i.MX 8M Plus and i.MX 95, a super-speed USB IP (DWC3) from Synopsys are provided supporting USB 3.0, which includes a new transfer rate referred to as Super Speed (SS) USB with higher transfer rates and significantly faster than the USB 2.0 standard.
The supported features the following.
• Host mode is implemented with a Linux OS standard XHCI driver with super-speed supported and tested.
• For Device Mode only single queue is supported. Mass storage, ether, and serial are supported

And no configs are mentioned, could you send the steps to reproduce?

Regards,

0 Kudos

JosephAtNXP
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products,

USB type C on host does not support superspeed, it's actually high-speed, USB type A on host does support superspeed, could you review if this gets detected as it should be?

JosephAtNXP_0-1714666242690.png

Regards

0 Kudos