Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8M UUU flashing questions

Jump to solution
clement22
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm using the imx8m mini evaluation kit and I have some questions about the flashing procedure (for eMMC).

I have difficulties to understand how the UUU tool works.

I'm using the YOCTO BSP imx-4.14.98-2.0.0_ga and I'm able to build an image for the eMMC.

I cloned the last version of the UUU tool and I used the script "emmc_burn_all.lst" to load my YOCTO image:
mfgtools/emmc_burn_all.lst at master · NXPmicro/mfgtools · GitHub 

I edited the script to use 2 files from my deploy folder:
- imx-boot-imx8mmevk-emmc.bin
- core-image-base-imx8mmevk.sdcard

It seems to work but I don't understand what the script does:
1) It starts by loading the bootloader with the SDP command.

Does it load it in RAM only ?

2) The FB command is used to configure uboot.

A parameter ${emmc_dev} is passed to uboot, do you know where is comes from ?

3) The FB command is used to flash the .sdcard image: "FB: flash -raw2sparse all_rootfs.sdcard"

Does it mean the .sdcard image is flashed via uboot ?

Isn't it possible to directly flash the sdcard image (not going through uboot) ?

I looked at the 2 docs below but was not able to find the details I'm looking for
- the wiki documentation
- PDF file https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-341877

Do you know where I could find these informations ?

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Please check my answers below, they are based on the documentation UUU.pdf that you can find here:

https://github.com/NXPmicro/mfgtools/releases/download/uuu_1.2.135/UUU.pdf

1.- Yes, it does, it will load u-boot to RAM, then it will use android fastboot protocol trough u-boot to flash the target memory.

2.- The variable emmc_dev it represents the eMMC device number, you can check this in the section 5.5 FB: Android fastboot protocol of the document.

3.-As I said before in 1, UUU uses the android fastboot protocol and trough u-boot, flash the device.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Aldo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
radhikasomaiya
Senior Contributor II

Hi  Clement Name,

Please find my answers as per below:

1)Yes, SDP: boot -f _flash.bin command will first flash the bootloader in RAM only.

2) ${emmc_dev} is eMMC flash device number which is defined in config file of your board in u-boot source. For i.Mx8M Mini board is defined at "<YOCTO_BUILD>/tmp/work/imx..-poky-linux/u-boot-imx/<u-boot-version>/git/include/configs/imx8mm_evk.h".

3) Yes, the .sdcard image is flashed via uboot through Fastboot command. (FB: flash -raw2sparse all_rootfs.sdcard).

The other ways to directly flash the .sdcard image.

• Flash whole sdcard image using dd command

$ sudo dd if=<SDCard image> of=/dev/sdx bs=1k seek=33 conv=fsync
             (offset is 33 - for i.MX 8QuadMax A0, i.MX 8QuadXPlus A0, i.MX 8M Quad, and i.MX 8M Mini)

• Using uuu command

$ sudo ./uuu <image.zip file>

Regards,

Radhika Somaiya.

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Please check my answers below, they are based on the documentation UUU.pdf that you can find here:

https://github.com/NXPmicro/mfgtools/releases/download/uuu_1.2.135/UUU.pdf

1.- Yes, it does, it will load u-boot to RAM, then it will use android fastboot protocol trough u-boot to flash the target memory.

2.- The variable emmc_dev it represents the eMMC device number, you can check this in the section 5.5 FB: Android fastboot protocol of the document.

3.-As I said before in 1, UUU uses the android fastboot protocol and trough u-boot, flash the device.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Aldo.

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.